2 way radio - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

2 way radio

Looking for some 2 way radios. At our camp in Ohio the cell coverage is very spotty. Wanting something that is very quiet with maybe an ear bud? The wife will be helping taking kids and I prefer that they are able to get ahold of me in case they need to. Does any have a text feature? Not looking for extreme long range and something that is fairly budget priced.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Re: 2 way radio

I went with a midland set just last year. They've done pretty good xtalker I think is the model. I believe they're 28 mile, but I highly doubt that. I've used them with no issues a mile from people. They were around 30 bucks.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

cspot-Check out the following link. There is an article about an item called goTenna that you can add to your cell phone, which allows you to send messages without cell service. I don't know much about it, but it might give you what you are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I guess it would help if I post the link . http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/blog/5...our-smartphone
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 PM

look at a garmin GPS with the built in radio ,, the garmin rino it will show you where the other one is ,I have the model 120 and yes they will use ear buds and I think u can text with it also
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86
cspot-Check out the following link. There is an article about an item called goTenna that you can add to your cell phone, which allows you to send messages without cell service. I don't know much about it, but it might give you what you are looking for.
Thanks. That is very interesting.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a set of motorola Talkabout 250 [old stuff now] and I have an earplug from Radio Shack like used to come with the old transistor radios...keep the volume low and it works great.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to hunt for them!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:31 AM

Ouch, the goTenna is 200 dollhairs.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:52 PM

I've had motorolas for 20-25 years and still going strong. They were pretty cheap and don't have the range of the newer models but work fine. Guide we hunted moose with used motorolas and they were as clear as if he was stnding beside you.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 01:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

CSpot,

Whether You need long range or not, I would recommend you get the greatest labelled distance You can afford. Rated distance of FRS/GMRS radios is over open land i.e. grassland, meadows, dirt flat land. Add in 12-18" oak, chesnut or maple trees, that you cannot see open sky through, and the distance cuts dramatically. The longer the distance they are rated, the more transmit power and receive sensitivity, and the better to penetrate what is called land clutter in the radio world. Trees, brush, etc.

There are both FRS (Family Radio Service) and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) channels in most radios. FRS is unlicensed, and has lower transmit power. GMRS by FCC rules, is supposed to be licensed, because of high power output. The Vendors include both bands in the radio, so you don't have to have a license to purchase, which was the original FCC thoughts.

I will not tell you to use a GMRS channel without a license, because that is unethical. But most do, the FCC knows that, and unless you are abusing their use, there will be no issues. GMRS channels are the onlly ones the radio will allow setting power to high.

Midland, Cobra and Uniden are common. I have Midland, and they are as good as the next. It was a turnkey package. They came with a desktop and a car charger, and VOX (voice activated) ear bud mics. Set the sensitivity, and it turns the mic on when you speak, instead of pushing a button. So get used to making a noise (chirp, click, etc.) before talking to activate, or the first word is clipped off! And I specifically got these because they also have NOAA weather radio on them. Some do, some don't. Nice to have at camp, to get storm updates.

Here is a link, and most have similar features and functions.

https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/up.../06/GXT720.pdf

Shop around on Fleabay and Craigslist, and you might find a decent price for not abused. Or shop the sales at LGS, Dunhams, or Wallyworld!

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page