Modern synthetic gear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Modern synthetic gear

I am a wool man, I will be going to Colorado next year and am gonna try some different tactics for deer this year in the mountains. So I'm looking into new gear. I will stick to wool as a base layer but am intrigued by these packable layers to add as necessary. Looking at things like core4element, kiui etc... any experience? Thanks.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:28 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Modern synthetic gear

90% of what i own for big game is wool,from me undies to me outerwear.All weights in between,lightweight to heavyweight.If its going to be a wet day i carry the cabelas packable rain gear,has never failed me.Dont have any experience with what you mentioned.In my book wool is the king.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Merino wool is king.
Core4element works as well as first lite and kuiu. It's also featured on "camofire.com" Great site for this type of gear at great prices. Sizes can be somewhat limited but i check it everyday. New stuff is always added in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

I checked into core4element at camofire and read their forum, lets say anything in stock if you call they will sell you,i have a full setup coming plus multiple merino wool baselayers coming. pretty reasonable pricing for sure.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 12:39 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I've bought a lot of such things from Camofire as deals appear. They were at the Harrisburg show not this past year, but the year before, and that was awesome and dangerous all at once, lol.

I use Core4Element Merino base layers, and I look at Camofire, Sierra Trading Post, and other places for deals on anything that's high content Merino.

I use Cabela's "Ultimate" wool socks, which are 75% merino content and come in different weights. Browning makes a good high-content Merino sock, too.

Primaloft isn't a bad insulator, but not for socks. I got primaloft socks and they were horrid.

I have Primaloft layer pants and they're fantastic.

For mobile type hunting, you might also want to check out Kuiu and Sitka's shell and outer layers. Meant for mobile hunting, and well made. Pricey, but good.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

thanks

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:35 PM
Part of the Community

I have a ton of merino wool base layers and imo icebreaker is the best.for socks,its icebreaker,smartwool,and when its cold i use alpaca socks.Icebreaker also makes some real nice midweight outer wear that can be found in different camo patterns on sierra trading post
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:55 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Camofire has been running a lot of Icebreaker lately. Might have to try some. I have been really pleased with my C4E stuff, though....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Part of the Community

Cant beat 100% merino wool
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 PM

I usually layer with synthetic and wool to stay warm and dry but what made the biggest difference for me was breathable outer layers with some form of wind stop. It doesnt matter what your layers are if the wind can get through it you will be cold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page