Sitka Gear Clothing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sitka Gear Clothing

Hey guys i'm looking for some input on the Sitka waterproof clothing ! I have bought several different brands that claim to be warm and waterproof such as field & stream, cabelas rain suede, whitewater,Pella, Rivers west and Medalist !
The rivers west did pretty good for a while but it doesn't breath and if you walk you sweat like crazy in it just like the Medalist !
I'm wondering if anybody on here has worn or own any of the waterproof Sitka clothing perticularly the incenterator outfit ! The outfits cost an arm and a leg but if they do what I want then I will pay for it ! I'm mostly looking for quiet, waterproof, warm and not real bulky for archery season early and late season ! thanks for any input !

Blend in or go hungry !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Sitka Gear Clothing

Not trying to persuade you from Sitka, but I just received on Friday Kuiu pants and jacket after my friends reports. This stuff is pricey, but top notch!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:58 PM

I wore a Gander Mtn. jacket for 10 hours in a driving rain last fall on a moose hunt and stayed dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks 25ftup and I looked at that stuff and got alot of opinions on it as well ! I heard it wasn't for stand hunting if its real cold and it was noisy ! I have never seen the stuff or touched it in person so I don't know how true it is !
Asajoe1 not to sure as to what jacket you got from gander but I've had several and they all said they were waterproof but I got soaked in mine ! You must have gotten real lucky with yours !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

PM sent.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:31 AM

Kuiu... it's the best I've ever owned. It's pricey.... but definitely worth it.

I've wore it out west several time... without a doubt... the best!

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 AM
Part of the Community

Send a message via Yahoo to Rattlinbucks

I have used Sitka and first lite gear. I use a Sitka kelvin jacket insulated with primaloft, dang thing folds up in a small back pack and super lite. Warmest jacket I have ever had. I was a big thinsulate fan for years but they are heavy. First day in 2015 deer season it was 17 degrees and I was warm as toast. If it keeps me warm it should keep you very warm as I live in Los Angles and come hunt PA. every year. I do use DiamondDown base layer with first lite merino wool over that. Primaloft best I have found yet for warmth.

RIP Ron Baldwin & Pastor Lewie Mericle, thank you for all the 50 years of memories. 3 A POTTER CO.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 02:52 AM
New Arrival

I bought a Sitka incinerator jacket last March but I've never had the chance to use it yet. My dad also has the same brand and it's perfect on him.

"If God does not exist, then everything is permitted"
-Fyodor Dostoyevsky

http://energypronto.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The only Sitka gear I have is the Downpour, jacket and pants.
This is the only rain gear that I have owned that has kept me dry. If you watch ebay it can be bought new in the 125-150 price range, that is for one piece though.

I

Don't Gobble at me...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:41 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have a fair amount of Sitka gear....we can chat on Saturday when I get the pup.

Short version- I think the Incinerator line is going to be much too warm for the majority of hunting season in PA. I have the Fanatic jacket and bibs, and with layers, that is some WARM stuff. I wouldn't want the Incinerator line, as the only time I'd use it would be maybe in very late January for the tail end of the extended flintlock season here in 5C.

I wish they'd put GoreTex into the Fanatic series. I think that'd be PERFECT.

With a good layering system, and the Kelvin top/bottom, I don't foresee any temps I'll face in PA that I can't manage with the Fanatic system, but it's only got a DWR finish, it's not fully waterproof. It'll handle snow, light/spotty rain, but a steady rain, probably not.

Another thing to know about Sitka is to buy up at least one size from your usual size in clothing. Maybe two.

I wear L/XL tshirts. I bought a 3X Fanatic jacket, and I thought I'd swim in it. I sort of do, until I put on any kind of layers. Then it starts to fit pretty well. I probably should have a 2x, but I got it cheap, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page