Boot insulation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Boot insulation

I'll be upgrading my boots in the coming months and am wondering how much insulation I should get in them. 400? 800? 1200? I need these boots to be a 'do it all' boot here in PA. So from early October archery hunts, to rifle, to after Christmas flintlock, to late season archery in SRA. ALso the possibility of a hunting out west for elk is in the near future. In the past I've used primarily Rocky rubber boots and am looking to go back to a leather hunting boot. My initial thought is to go with 800 grams of thinsulate. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Boot insulation

I'm very fortunate in that I have good circulation in my feet and don't get cold feet if properly prepared. That said, I wear 800 gram goretex boots (Danner Pronghorns) in the rifle and late season. I have friends that get cold feet with 2000 gram boots.

There's no way I could stand wearing those boots in archery season. Plus, the more insulation, the "clumpier" they are as far as hiking.

IMHO, it's really hard to have one pair of boots to "do it all." I would keep an eye on catalogs like the "Sportsman's Guide". They have every level of foot gear and with their prices, you can have several pairs.

Good luck.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:46 AM
The Man

I agree with fall gobbler. What the OP is asking for in one pair of boots is a lot. I personally would never archery hunt in a leather boot either. An elk hunting boot and a PA deer season boot can be on either side of the spectrum depending on how you hunt.
For me, I'd need at least three different boot for what's being described.
The sportsman's guide thing is some good advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Sage

I have a pair of LaCrosse rubber boots. 1200 grams of insulation. I wear them from the beginning of October to "buck" season and they're great. I used to wear leather boots and would not go back to them. Not for hunting anyway. They're comfortable, easy on/off, help with scent control, roomy enough so I can wiggle my toes to keep my feet warm and put heat packs inside if I need to when sitting for long periods of time. When they wear out I'll get another pair of the same.

Btw, I had a bad experience with Rocky boots would never buy another pair. Just my opinion.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

800 grams of thinsulate is a good compromise. If you need more for sitting on the colder days, you can get a pair of Artic Booties to slip on over the boots. They're thin and very packable. They are not made for walking, even short distance , as the soles are flat and have no traction. They cost about $30.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Part of the Community

If your locked into getting one boot to cover both warm & extreme temps I would go with 400 grams of insulation and use a sock liner and different socks to suit conditions. HW merino or Norway wool sock with a quality sock liner(polypro, cabelas outfitter grade etc)would be all you need for cold conditions. In warm temps just a sport lite cotton/wool blend sock would suffice. Suggest getting a high quality leather boot with vibram soles etc such as some Danners have.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 04:02 PM

I have a pair of wolverines with 1000 grams of thinsulate. ive worn these from small game right through deer season. these boots are waterproof also. been wearing these for about 15 years and only had to have them resoled.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am another guy that has many pairs of boots. I can't imagine picking one style or weight for a "do-all" pair. I have 200, 400, 600, and 1,000 gram hunting boots, a pair of Arctic Muck boots, and a pair of Pac boots, along with uninsulated work boots and hikers.
Before anyone thinks I am rich, I have picked these boots up over the last 15 years or so, mostly on sale. I could get by with uninsulated work boots, a 400 gram hunting boot and the Mucks-but I enjoy my time outdoors working and hunting too much to compromise.

Will
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have 2 pair of hunting boots. Light weight for early archery and 1400 grain for Nov. on out!

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Honestly you might as well forget about a one pair for all seasons boot. You need at least 2 pairs. Like others have said, sportsmans guide. I will recommend Irish setter boots. Have worn them for years and couldn't be happier.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in