Garmin E trex H........ - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Garmin E trex H........

Anyone use one of these GPS units?Just ordered one off Cabela's,they were in the bargain cave for $75 so I figured I'd try one.Very good reviews on Cabelas site but just wondered what any of you think of them.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 PM

Re: Garmin E trex H........

I have one also it works ok ,,one suggestion is to use it whenever you in the woods ,,even if you know where you at,, you need to keep up with how to use it ,i always carry a compass also ,, get some topo maps and learn how to use UTM numbers with the gps
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:14 PM
The Man

i have the older etrex vista not the HC model, its nice but it never has a constant signal, and always have to stop and wait for it.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 PM
The Man

Since you just ordered it, what are you looking for, a bad report.

I'm familiar with the old model. The H model is better under tree canopies, tree leaves, so they're good with the leaves on the trees in the forest.
Their a basic directional gps. No map. If you just want to find the car parked on the road or the hunting cabin, they do the job. They won't tell you there is a cliff 200 yards from your location. You'll need to study topo maps for that.
I might just break down and buy one. Most of my hunting spots I know. I expect to hunt PA this coming year, and it won't be bad to have a little edge on moving back to the vehicle at the end of the day. Can use it to keep track of where I went yesterday. And mark promising spots for the next day. For less than $100 it will be worth it.

I'll still carry my compass.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

[quote=mus42tang]Since you just ordered it, what are you looking for, a bad report.

Umm..no.As I said,I was just looking for info. from those who have used one.Thanks for your input.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
dce
Sage

I had an older e-trex and bought the venture HC this past spring.I feel it's a huge step up in both usability(if that's a word) and signal capability.I'm extremely "tech" challeneged and I think it's an awesome piece of equiptment.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

DCE,thats exactly why I was asking the question.I did my research and based on capability and what you get for the money,I decided to go with the etrex,it would be my first gps so I didn't want to spend alot of money.However,two days later I found the venture HC units at a VERY good price.I was looking for input to kinda compare the 2.I ordered a venture HC and am sending the etrex back.Thanks for the info all.PS DCE:I'm somewhat tech challanged as well
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM
dce
Sage

I think I paid $169 for the HC.It's easy to use,locks onto the satellites very fast,works great under a tree canopy and is accurate to within feet.Great unit for the money.Good purchase.You'll be glad you bought it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
I think I paid $169 for the HC.It's easy to use,locks onto the satellites very fast,works great under a tree canopy and is accurate to within feet.Great unit for the money.Good purchase.You'll be glad you bought it.
Yup,I agree.Had it out twice so far in areas I know well just to try it out and it works great!I intentionally turned it on under some thick hemlocks to see if it would pick up the satelites,it picked them up as if there was nothing overhead.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Is everyone refering to the etrex venture hc, if so can someone give a discreption on how it works?
Thanks Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page