budget rangefinders - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

budget rangefinders

It has come to my attention that I really need a rangefinder. I am looking for a small, no nonsense affordable rangefinder. Budget does not mean cheap. I want the best value. I don't think I need any angle compensation, but could be talked into it. I understand that affordable means different things to different people so I will give a figure of what I am expecting to spend but I would be willing to go cheaper or more expensive if something is worth it. Needs to be the following.

around $150
small
lightweight
easy to operate
take normal batteries (preferably AA)
range of atl least 400yrds (not just for archery)
good warranty

Thanks for all of your help in advance

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: budget rangefinders

The Bushnell Truth 4x20 will do what you ask.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What RobOz said. The Truth, or even the Scout 1000, both with ARC, will suit you fine for gun or bow. Saw both on Fleabay for your price range.

Not sure how many rangefinders out there use AA batteries. They take up a lot of unneeded space. Most use CR batteries. A CR-123A or CR-2 are the same 3 Volts as 2x AA batteries, in a smaller package.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 01:15 PM

I got the Simmons LRF 600 at Dick's two years ago on sale for $79.99. It works great for anything I need around here. They had them on sale again last season. The clerk at Dick's said they sell more of them, for every one of the other brands they sell.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have the Bushnel Truth. Be aware that there are limitations to them. Fog,Any amount of decent fog makes them inoperable ,laser does not reflect back to the finder.. Low light. Most of the lower priced ones do not have an illuminator for the readings so at low light its very hard to see your range in the display. More expensive ones do light up ,so Im told. If its that low light then its outside legal shooting times.
Angle compensators. Unless you are shooting hundreds of yards up or down the mountain at severe angles or severe angle bow hunting over 40 yards you can probably do without it.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good to check accuracy of any you buy but especially lower end models. This is a sample of only one so may not be indicative of the majority. I had a bushnell for a few years, don't remember the model, but I did range a few animals over 400 yds. For 36 years I've had a tape measured 100yd shooting range off my patio. After using the bushnell a couple years for whatever reason I ranged to the 100yd target, it said 88yds, a 14% error. I got the 150' tape measure out again and measured to the target, still exactly 100yds. Explains why caribou ranged at around 400 yds were actually close to 460 resulting in low hits.

I listed it on here for a minimal price stating the 14% error, it sold quickly and I now use a Leica that is just spot on.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 AM

Hmmmmmm , that may explain some of my longer groundhog misses these last couple of years . My 20 year old Bushnell 450 must need replaced . And here I thought it was me getting rusty after all of these years .
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for you help guys I appreciate it. Think I'm going to look into the scout due to it being smaller.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 01:40 PM

Don't overlook ebay. Some guys have to have the newest, latest of everything including rangefinders!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

halo xrt..6x 600 yrd range...love it on my second one..bought my dad one also

Come and try to take my guns!.you might meet my precious metal collection!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page