Mil. Cold Weather Kit - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mil. Cold Weather Kit

I was packing up some stuff in the hunting closet, and noticed my G.I. Issue cold weather kit in the back under a few boxes. Parka, pants, mukluks & felt bootie liners, felt linered leather mittens, and bomber style hat.

I wonder, with all the new synthetic materials, thinsulate, primaloft, etc. on the market, is this kit worth anything anymore?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 PM
The Man

Re: Mil. Cold Weather Kit

I don't care what others do. They're spending their money. Not mine! Besides a lot of things 20 years old still work. They might not have a fancy name announcing a new, terrific, product.
Today in my 2 hour hike in teen degree weather, I wore wool felt gaiters from the army in Swizerland, a neck gaiter for my neck,ears and head, and some military surplus mittens that are 20 years old.
The only thing old young folks seem to appreciate are 50 and 70 year old semi-sutomatic rifles.

I wear the old gear, because they work, and don't cost a lot of money. Besides its my neck, my ears, my head, my ankles, my feet and my hands. Few outside today to even notice.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:19 AM

You may be able to sell it to a Army-Navy surplus store or on Craig's list to somebody. I had all that gear and don't think I ever wore the pants or parka (an unwritten flight line rule), my wife would wear it snowmobiling. The mittens were good for riding also, the mukluks are ok but don't get them wet. The hat was ok but the snaps rubbing on your face was cold and no neck protection. But there are a few who like it so I think selling to the surplus store or Craig's list, yard sale may be your best option.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 03:28 PM

I wish my dad's old parka still fit me. It's old enough that the insignia is from the Air Corp. Warmest parka I've ever worn, hood is awesome too. When zipped up you have a small hole to look out. Great on windy days. Too bad I got too fat.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:48 AM
The Man

My "cold weather" gear worked beautiful this year. Both me, the hunter, and for my non-hunting walker companion.
It gets cold in north Georgia. There's the weather for civilians and weather conditions for walkers/hikers. You know its cold and windy with a Chicago blast, when less than ten people are walking in the park.
My non-hunter partner wasn't well equipped for cold weather hiking. Had a good parka, but lacked good cold weather gloves, good neck gear, ear protection and
and protection when wearing low cut hiking shoes.
The neck gaiter worked great in the cold and numerous cold windy days. They even keep the ears warm and protect the mouth area, besides the neck.
The non-hunter found the military mittens kept the non-hunters hands warmer than gloves.
The gaiters worked good at keeping the feet and lower legs warm without wearing insulated underwear. A warm surprise to the hunter. Could easily use them in plus twenty degree weather for hunting as a backup to insulated boots and even insulated base gear. The non-hunter was carrying the neck gaiter and the mittens in 48 degree weather, with a good wind chill wind out of Chicago lowering the wind chill temps to the 20ies and low thirties. And with the price lower than $ 25 for each hiker, it was a bargain. Gaiter, neck gaiter and mittens will be available next year for wind chill winter of north Georgia. Even for the hunter.
They surprised the hunter and kept the non-hunter on the winter trail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page