Saving on Winter Accessories - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Saving on Winter Accessories

I don't mind saving money. And I don't mind avoiding high priced new items, the "latest and the greatest."

Not only did I avoid the high priced items, I found satisfaction with third and fourth generation items.

Bought the items in June of last year; tried them out on the days it was below 30 and as low as the teens.
And I avoid using something on the first day of anything.
It was a round-about story. I first saw something on the internet about gaiters. Never wore them; but I knew they were used years ago and are still used.
The price was right, some six dollars for a pair, so I decided to get them, if only for a backup to my insulated rubber boots. They would be especially good for someone without insulated hunting boots. Like my co-walker.
Could have spent $120 for the three items. But I had another person to consider; my loyal co-walker and hiker. I made a list of the weak points. Poor neck protection; poor shoe and leg protection; poor hand protection. All serious cold weather needs of my co-walker.
Not that I was perfect. My mitten hand wear was getting old and I needed backup for the rubber insulated boots. I had uninsulated boots that could use the gaiters. And I was missing good cold weather protection for the neck area.
Buying items for her, made me buy three items for myself.
Things I got. Gaiters. Bought a pair each; a pair of the three items selected . The first were army surplus gaiters from the Swiss army. They were the old style, one size fits all. And we all know one size doesn't fit everyone. My legs have been beat by continuous walking. I have permanent thin runner legs.
If you weigh 220 lbs and have thick legs, you probably need the type using velcro or a zipper in the back.

My ankles and legs to the knees were kept surprisingly warm even without any thermal wear. Of course, I had used pressed wool felt in footwear, so I knew the old system worked. The Swiss wool gaiters did their job. Some people have thick legs below the knees, so I'd pass on the $6 gaiters. For me they were perfect. Old system used; money saved.

Neck gaiters. Big hit with my co-walker. They weren't just neck warmers, the neck gaiters warmed the ears, the face and the head. Should have gotten a neck gaiter years ago. Big success.

Military mittens. Well I knew they'd take care of my co-walker's cold hands. Been using mittens for over thirty years. Good mittens always beat good gloves. It's a truth some never learn. Some associate mittens with little kids. Mittens made for little kids do work.

The only complaint is its going to be hard to avoid using the gaiters, the neck gaiter and the new old mittens.
The warmth has me spoiled already. But I'm insuring that I have a winter companion on near daily winter hikes. We both became warmer.

Have to look next at thermal underwear. I think I know of some third and fourth generation stuff at reduced prices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page