Sitka Gear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sitka Gear

I always wondered if Sitka stuff lived up to the press that it gets. Well, I was at Cabelas getting a new pair of skins and decided to check out the Bargin Cave. I spotted some Sitka stuff and needed a pair of colder weather pants. They had a pair of Status Elevaded Optifade. The tag had been marked down to 190 bucks, but that was more than I wanted to spend so I asked if they could do better. The sales girl checked and said they could do 140 so I walked out with them. They seem well made, but time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:14 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Sitka Gear

Dang, I haven't been watching the Cave, and that's what I was looking for! Darn you...lol.

I have some Sitka stuff and I like it. It's pricey, but I like it. I have some Traverse layers, some Downpour pants, and a Fanatic jacket. All are great. I am stuck in limbo with a hodgepodge because I refuse to pay full retail, so I only buy when I can get it at a really good price.

At the type of pricing you paid, I think it's worth it. At rack price, no.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i just bought some first lite gear and just like sitka its pricey but man its so worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 03:49 PM

<span style="font-weight: bold"> I've bought most of my Sitka gear off of EBAY...As is with most buying, timing is everything.

I bought allot of my gear used, during Jan., Feb., & Mar. A good example of buying in Feb....yielded me a Fanatic jacket & bibs, worn twice for 385.00 shipped, in a buy it now deal...

After season sales = big savings...

Well worth the $$$ spent, in my opinion...</span>
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I used the pants a good bit during rifle and some of the colder morning during archery. They are really a well made product and have good layout of pockets and such. I just can't get over the fact that they list for crazy money, but are made in some sweat shop in China.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:17 PM

Try KUIU. I had Sitka but decided against it when I found KUIU. Same owner/inventor except he sold Sitka off after it got real big. The KUIU is way better priced cause he sells it himself with no mark up to gouge his customers. The KUIU is definitely worth every penny.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

I recently looked at the Sitka Gear line of clothing at the new Field & Stream store near Camp Hill, PA.. After really taking a very close look at the coats and all they had to include heavy bibs and coats I gotta say I am VERY unimpressed with the garments. Way and I mean WAY over priced made in China clothing.
My hard earned money will not be buying ANY of the Sitka Gear stuff mainly because I feel that after looking at it and it's over all materials and quality or lack there of--for the asking prices I saw somebody is getting rich because the mark up has to be absolutely horrific. Cheap materials for high prices--No thanks.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:33 PM

Check out First Lite as well

www.firstlite.com
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 11:04 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Well, I guess I'm the lone odd ball...won't be the first/last time.

I like Sitka. I have some of their stuff, and I have not paid retail for any of it. Careful online shopping can get it for anywhere from 40-60 percent off shelf price. Used correctly, and if shopped carefully, you can be extremely comfortable for not a ton of cash.

For example, I think their Traverse layers are awesome as a second layer over my merino wool base layer. The Traverse stuff is light, wicking, and adds some insulation. When I was hunting mulies in Nebraska, it was about 45 and pleasant, but with the wind, my merino sweater wasn't quite cutting it, but my jacket was too much. I got the Traverse layer off, switched it to go OVER the merino sweater, which then cut the wind and was super comfortable. The Traverse top and bottom each retail at like $100-$135, I think. That's just stupid. I got the top for $35 and the bottoms for $40, which are what you'd pay for any other similar item elsewhere, and the Sitka stuff does exactly what I want. I had to be ok with mismatched camo patterns, but I've never understood camo on layers/underwear styled cloting to begin with. The top, yeah, I get that, but the bottoms????? lol

I have a Fanatic bib/coat set that should cost over $700, I paid well under half that. It is very, very nice. I've used a little, although this warm winter hasn't called for it much. I had the temps in the single digits we usually see in flintlock season in mind when I bought it. Two weeks here yet for flintlock season, but the 10 day doesn't show any frigid temps, so it's not likely we'll see them this year. I did wear it when temps were in the low 20's in the morning with not many layers underneath and was really warm and comfortable. Better than anything else I've had so far, at least.

So yea, I like it. I don't buy it exclusively....meaning I get other brands for things I find are better bought else were. I have Core4Element merino base layers, I use Cabela's and Browning for socks, wool glomitts from I don't know what brand, etc etc.....but I like the Sitka stuff I have, and between Camofire and Ebay and other sources, I got a LOT cheaper than most think it can be had.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not happy that Sitka gear is made in China. However, look through your household and I'm certain you won't find to much made in the USA. After trying Sitka gear several years ago it has become my only clothing. I will not buy anything else. I absolutely love it! I do buy 90% of it on sale though. It isn't cheat as previously stated. Some good sites to get sales on Sitka is diggs outdoors and rogers sporting goods. Good huntin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page