New Boots - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

New Boots

I need a new pair of knee high boots. I have a lot of Mucks and been fairly happy with them. I get a few years of hard use out of each pair. I noticed Lacrosse makes a few similar boots. Obviously the Aeroheads, and a newer one, the 4x Alpha. Does anyone have experience with the Lacrosse boots compared to the Mucks? The Aeroheads get fairly good reviews, I'm just curious about durability with hard use. I can't find much on the 4x Alphas.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:48 PM
New Arrival

Re: New Boots

I have the Lacrosse AlphaBurleys. It's my 2nd full season with them. They're 800 gr. Thinsulate. They've held up well, but there are a few issues. One, they're MASSIVE-to qualify that, they are size 14. However, they're pretty ornery and bulky to move. I use a scent free tote and they're almost too big to carry on top of the tote when moving them from the porch to the truck. Two, the camo pattern faded pretty quickly. Another mea culpa, I store them during the season on my back porch (screened in) and it's western facing. However, the amount of damage to the pattern for sitting outside for less than 3 months is a bit surprising.

All of that being said, the company makes a fine boot. The tightening mechanism at the top of the boot is easy to use and super functional. They are wonderfully comfortable, and do a good job keeping my feet warm.

The bulkiness of the boot does make it difficult to use with a climber, so if you use one of those, maybe a boot with a slimmer profile would do the trick. They're great with the ladder stands, however.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Honestly, I buy the cheapest yet quality boots I can get when it comes to rubber boots. They just don't last and I refuse to spend $150+ on a good pair of boots to get only two seasons out of them.

I've been happy with Cabela's boots over the years. Muck have always developed leaks/cracks within 2 years. Lacrosse have always developed leaks/cracks within 2 years. So have the Cabela's....BUT they cost half as much. I generally buy them on sale mid-winter. Usually it's a neoprene upper model with 800-1000g insulated model for around $70.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Part of the Community

I bought a pair of lacrosse knee highs last yer, spent a pretty penny but they are the favorite boot I've owned. I was skeptical about knee high rubber boots because I do a ton of hiking in to spot and wasn't sure how snug and supportive they would be, but they are great.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a new pair of the Alpha Burly's in 800 gram. I like them. The Aerohead rubber seemed a bit thin compared to the Alpha Burly. I have torn the rubber while walking through a thicket in a pair of Muck Pursuit Extreme boots. I also have a pair of Kamik Hunstman boots that I wear and I like. The Kamik boots are made in the USA and run about $100.

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:40 PM

If you store your boots in a sealed plastic garbage bag after the season they will last longer and won't develop cracks as easily.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:57 PM

I got a pair of the aerohead last year. I found them in the bargain cave at cabelas for $90. Return w minimal wear. Love em. A little bulky but I like the fit and comfort. Would recommend. My last were Irish Setter w the heel gimmicky thing. Lasted about 3 years. Muck chores for around the house. Lacrosse best of all to me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I can vouch for Under Amours knee high boots. Had the Muck Boots and would never go back. Not to mention you can't beat UA's warranty. I returned a pair of boots that sprung a leak (hiking boots, not knee-highs) a year after I ordered them. They gave me the option of a full refund, store credit, or replacement - no questions asked.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:38 PM

I have both mucks and the alphaburly's. I use my mucks for early season and lacrosse for 40 and below temps. The alpha's are a little bulky, but super comfortable and warm. I like the looks of some of the new rocky knee highs, but they're a little pricey.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:40 PM

one additional note, the MOST comfortable and warm boots I've ever worn were muck artics. They've changed the style since, but they used to have blaze orange inside. I was amazed with them, but I was borrowing them from a friend.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page