Best disposable hand warmers? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Best disposable hand warmers?

What brand have you found effective? I used Grabber brand hand warmers this deer season. I was totally disappointed with them. My fingers stayed cold the whole time I had the warmers in my mittens. I will say they were better than none at all but only slightly. I had used some over the years (forgot what brand) which really got quite warm and lasted all day. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Best disposable hand warmers?

This will be interesting.

My findings are they become useless when stuffed in a boot and nearly so when really cold and in a pocket. I think they only heat up when I'm walking around and don't need them that hot. When on stand all day, I freeze.

I like the kind with the charcoal stick. They stink, but some people are smoking their clothes these days so maybe its a benefit.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Part of the Community

I like the adhesive toe warmers. They seem to always make my feet stay warm when im on stand. I can also stand them when im walking. They always keep my feet warm but when they are done it seems you have to take them out or they suck the heat right up

If its outdoors I'm willing to give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have not found any chemical handwarmers I like , they make ones for the feet that supposedly operate in low oxygen areas "your boots" , I have not found any that work there either.
I hear some people love them but I think they must be using them only in the summer.
For handwarmers , I use the ones that take a charcoal stick that you light.
They will get hot enough to melt plastic if you stick it in a pocket with something like plastic or bubble gum.
I like to carry them in a pouch around my neck to warm "the core".
I also think they are good luck.
I can not tell you the number of deer I had to shoot while I was in the process of lighting one of those sticks.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

they need air to circulate to work. if you dont have a boot that breathes at all, they will shut down. they will shut down in your gloves as well.

one cool thing... say you go out and you open a few. you decide two hours later that youre going in for a little bit. take a ziplock bag, put them in it, zip it up. it will deactivate them. i do this in archery as hunts can be short. dont try this with the charcoal ones you light

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh42581
you decide two hours later that youre going in for a little bit. take a ziplock bag, put them in it, zip it up. it will deactivate them. i do this in archery as hunts can be short. dont try this with the charcoal ones you light
I would NEVER ............. go in after 2 hours

Go in?
In where???
The house?

You're talking to Hunterx , not jackie bushman
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:32 PM

You know .... I could swear that the last 1-2 years the disposables ones do NOT seem to heat up nearly as much as they use to.

Does anyone else think that?

I half wondered if the manufacturers changed their formula on the ingredients to not make them heat up as much. Like anything else anymore, I'm sure someone got "burned" by one and sued the company and now they don't heat up nearly as much.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimer
You know .... I could swear that the last 1-2 years the disposables ones do NOT seem to heat up nearly as much as they use to.

Does anyone else think that?

I half wondered if the manufacturers changed their formula on the ingredients to not make them heat up as much. Like anything else anymore, I'm sure someone got "burned" by one and sued the company and now they don't heat up nearly as much.
I've noticed they don't warm me like they used to. Maybe it's a formula change, or maybe its part of getting old. Either way I've been doing some research on the Reusable Handwarmers. I can see one of them added to my gear next year.

Semper Fi
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They aren't as warm. They would get warm enough to almost burn you. Now, I am lucky if they stay above freezing when in my pocket.

And if your the green environmental type, they are just more to dispose of. Although making charcoal stick is likely not friendly either.

Oh well, can't save them all, I'd rather be warm.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I primarily use the disposable chemical reaction ones and found them to be great. Two in my pockets for my hands, and I'll throw one or two under my thermals next to my skin and I stay warm all day.

I'll hunt all day and when I come home I will give them to my wife who will soak up their warmth until they run out.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page