Thinsulate temp rating vs. neoprene - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thinsulate temp rating vs. neoprene

I am looking at new hi top rubber boots. Some have 3- 5 mm neoprene ratings . Howevre there seems to be ridiculous low temp ratings for them.
My 800-1200g Thinsulate are good for me at 25-40 degrees while in a tree stand. Lower temps if walking. 2000grams for 20 or below while sitting.
Does anyone have any practical real world experience with the neoprene thickness as far as temps they are good for. Or a cross reference chart of some sort ?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Thinsulate temp rating vs. neoprene

I don't even pay attention to the ratings anymore. I bought a pair of Sorel pac boots years ago that are rated to -100. My toes still freeze in them,and they are a real PITA to walk in. I stay just as warm in my lightweight 3.5mm Lacrosse Aeroheads with a silk/wool sock combo and some chemical toe warmers.

Bob
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:41 PM

I bought a pair of Kamik boots for ice fishing. We had snow than 6 inches of water than the ice on local lakes. First time that I ever could fish in these conditions and not get cold feet.

The company is out of Canada and I couldn't have been happier. Also used them in the goose blind when the temps were hovering around 0 and never felt the cold on my feet.

Only wore a normal pair of sock with a light pair of wool socks over them. Good for 58 below.

They only ran $70. They have a draw string that sinches at the top to keep snow out of your boots. I bought the ice crushers. Weight is around 5# a pair so not real heavy. The lining is made of Zylex.

I did a lot of searching and reading reviews before I bought them and they had nothing but glowing reviews. Just couldn't justify buying boots that cost 3 times as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:46 PM

I have used uninsulated Alpha Burleys and Alpha Lites right thru to the end of reg. archery season. The key is to change to a dry wool/poly sock after walking in. No boot works if your sitting in wet sweated socks from the walk in.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 10:26 AM

I'm making that switch as well, and was leery about it with my experiences with chest waders. I don't know how well 5m of neo will do in air, but I can tell you that when you step into 30* water you can feel the heat get sucked out. Thing is though, that is totally different than sitting in a tree stand.

I'll be buying a pair of the Muck arctic boots this fall. But my good old Lacrosse Ice Kings will still be close at hand. I love the chore boots I bought last fall. They did well for me in the warmer months.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 PM
The Man

I can buy less than the greatest and the best. I wore boots decades ago. My toes didn't fall off. I dragged a deer out in minus ten degrees. I have history to remember. Have an old pair of Sorel boots just waiting in emergency.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page