Cutco Hunting Knife - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Cutco Hunting Knife

Does anyone own a Cutco hunting knife? My MIL bought me one, and she ordered the straight edge, but the one that showed up has the DD edge. I don't really want to have to send it back. Any experience with the DD edge?

Alrighty then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Cutco Hunting Knife

I have one that was taken on several trips out west. It is very sharp and holds its edge for a long time. The first time it was used on 4 bulls a cow and a mule deer. Was still as sharp as new. I did bend some of the points taking hair off the skull. I stopped and had cutco dress it up for free. It has since done several elk and deer and is still sharp. The only down side is you can't sharpen it yourself cutco has to put it on their equipment. But it will be done for life free. Hope this helps. PS at the time I took it in the lady said it was the first one she ever had come back to be sharpened.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks briar, good info. I was worried about not being able to sharpen it myself, but I guess thats a non-issue. Thanks again.

Alrighty then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No problem my camp is close to the store so I stop in all the time. If you ever need anything from them just hit me up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:55 AM

I had one of the serrated ones and I ground it down and put my own edge on it. It's now the best knife I ever owned.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The serrated one is very nice. The extendable fishing knife is the bomb. I think it adjusts from 6 to 10 inches. Mine has done thousands of Perch and hundreds of Walleye. After 16 years the handle is finally failing. Most likely from how we clean the knife.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I received this one as a gift a few years ago.

I do not like the serrated edge because I can mot sharpen it myself. I know Cutco will do it for free for the life of the knife but I prefer to sharpen my own. Also, the first time I used it on a deer, I realized I don't like the gut hook. It works okay for it's intended purpose but seems to get hung up a lot when cutting loose the organs from inside the chest cavity.

Mine is custom engraved (with my name and the name of my camp) so it is strictly a display piece now. I have gone back to my straight-edged, non-gut hook hunting knife.

Don't get me wrong, Cutco makes great products, I own several and a few Ka-Bars too. I just don't like this style for practical use.

Eh...wot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page