scope advice needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

scope advice needed

I posted last year about buying a new scope for my 25-06. I recieved lots of recommendations however I haven't purchased a new scope yet.

I had a redfield 4-12 old syle on the gun and had it shooting half an inch and giving me 3418 for velocity with a hundred grain bullet. I really like this gun and my .222. These two guns comprise my all around battery.

I use the 25-06 for shots that go up to 400 yards when I cross power lines. However the woods next to the power lines are really dense and I have shot deer as close as 30 yards. I also like to utilize all of the legal shooting light that I can. This means that I need at least decent optics.

I really don't want to have less than a variable with a high ten power scope because I like to punch paper and run load development with this gun. I also shoot woodchucks at 500 yards so I was thinking that a 12 power or 14 power would also be nice. I figure that the adl is probably only worth 400 dollars. I need the scope to have at leat as good optics as the old redfield that I had on it. That means that I need to pony up the 185 for a new redfield on the low end and 525 for a vx3 on the high end.

What makes a 500 dollar scope better than a 200 dollar one? I see that some scopes have a paralax adjust while some of the Leupold scopes don't have this. How much do I really need for 500 yard target work? I also don't want to switch scopes.

I was looking at redfield revolution
Leupold vx2 and 3
vortex viper
bushnell 6500
burris sig select
sightron big sky ii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: scope advice needed

If you are going to be sitting on a powerline then get a bigger 50mm for better low light use.3X9 or 4X16..Nikon makes some very nice scopes that are cheaper then Leupolds..The only thing I do not like about high priced scopes is when you slip and fall on wet leaves or ice and your scope gets damaged..Surprisingly this happens quite a bit especially on uneven terrain.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 PM
BD1
Part of the Community

If u can go to a store that u can look thru these scopes, U will see the differences in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

fyi redfield was bought by leupuld. i'd buy a redfield over most scopes jmo

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

More often the big difference in prices of scopes has to do with the quality of the glass (lense) used and how it is treated. Other things such as variable power, quick focus, etc. come into play, but when all those things are the same the difference in price comes down to the glass itself. Lenses can be uncoated, coated, multicoated, polished, etc. giving them the light gathering ability and clarity. If you ever get a chance to look through a high end Zeiss scope or bino's , do it, it's amazing to see the difference. I favor Nikon but I think Redfield offers the most value right now, check them out. Good luck.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I just sent out an order for a vortex viper. I will have it by friday and hopefully will have blood on it by saturday night...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:34 AM

I love my 2 leupolds
Clear and bright well worth the money

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 02:56 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Since the VX3 was mentioned...

Anyone considering spending for a VX3 owes it to themselves to also look at a Zeiss Conquest and a Nikon Monarch. Both will give the Leupy a run for its money (I think the Zeiss beats it, the Monarch falls juuuuuuuust short, but barely). Both cost in the same range, with the Nikon being the most affordable.

I've been hearing decent reports on the Vortex optics.....but I haven't handled one personally.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I just sent out an order for a vortex viper. I will have it by friday and hopefully will have blood on it by saturday night...
Let us know how you like the viper. Im going to pull the trigger on one soon as well. From what I hear, the warranty is unbeatable and the glass is as good or better then leupold.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Good choice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page