Got some warm army surplus wool gaiters /mittons - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Got some warm army surplus wool gaiters /mittons

I know. Today was a hot hiking day. 90 plus degrees and a one and a half hour hike.
When I got home my winter package arrived. Stuff for me and my hiking partner. In truth she welcomed them more than me. Warm hands and warm feet and lower legs go good in winter. Especially since she only wears low cut hiking shoes and small gloves.

Swiss wool army gaiters and Chech army mittons.

My partner will have warmer hands and feet/legs this winter. The mittons are nice, with a trigger finger for her camera, but the gaiters are impressive. I originally was getting them for me, but they'll do wonders for my hiking but non hunting partner. She's totslly unfamilar with army surplus.

Next on the agenda. Full insulated base wear for the camera person. She'll like them. Plus I found them on sale. It's summer you know. Then comes head and neck wear. Nothing like planning to keep my hiking partner in shape for winter. May make winter better for me. I've been set in that area, but a new look won't hurt me.

Last year she got my small parka and watch cap. Hope to do better this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:18 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Got some warm army surplus wool gaiters /mittons

Is gear that warm necessary in Georgia?!

I survived The Hallton Hilton!
Sportin' at the Wharton!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:20 PM

Didn't know it got that chilly that far south. But if it does, you both will definitely be prepared.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Part of the Community

Highest peak in Georgia is just shy of 5000ft,so it does get a little chilly down there.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:46 PM

I was in Army ROTC in the late 70s and loved the green wool socks with the thicker soles and the green wool glove liners that went inside the black leather gloves. I would love to find some of those socks?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Is gear that warm necessary in Georgia

Yes, in north Georgia, there is winter. Not as cold as northern PA, but it gets in the thirties and twenties. I noticed only myself one weekend morning, plus one female, one chilly morning in the teens last year. My partner begged off walking that day.
I swear Georgia has the coldest dampest days in the 40's and thirties. A lot of the regular walkers usually disappear when it gets below 50 degrees.

I remember pulling out a jon-e handwarmer and then handed it to my non-hunting hiking partner. What a look of surprise when it warmed her chilly hands.

And she got another surprise when I showed her the gaiters and mittons I got her. Didn't have to tell her once that she would be wearing them.
They'll work for me in winter when wearing miltary hot weather boots. Besides, she wears non insulated low cut hiking shoes. The wool gaiters will be used.

Do some people claim its still warm. Yes, we have a lot of people who jump from the house to the vehicle to the next building. Many never spend a an hour out in the cold. On a mile and a half walk, we'll see about five other people. Some sure love avoiding Georgia winters. She's ripe for warmer clothing. She started wearing my small parka last year.
This week it was hot weather hiking. Did three days; all before it ran from the 80's to 95's.
Did 4 1/2 miles.
People disappear then too.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Re: Is gear that warm necessary in Georgia

Just picked up acouple pair of the socks I spoke about earlier and a pair of glove liners at the surplus store that just opened in the Lycoming Mall.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:23 AM
The Man

Asajoe1, I go to Gander Mt. once in awhile.
Where's the surplus store located in the Mall?
Is it a Military Surplus?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:30 AM

Yes, all military stuff. In one of the wings off the main mall, I think the one down towards Old Navy? Only been open for afew months.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:15 AM
Sage

Hafta check it out the next time I head for camp.

Used to get the green wool glove liners at the gunshop near camp, but they stopped getting them about five or six years ago.

My favorites for deer season. They're about the only things that keep my paws warm in really cold weather.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page