boots for Africa? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

boots for Africa?

I'm headed to Africa for the first time and I'm told my Muck boots won't cut it. I'm looking for suggestions from someone who's "been there, done that" on what boots to buy. Russell's look great, but I could pay another trophy fee for what they cost. Thanks in advance for the help!

Ramcat

Be good, and you will be lonesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: boots for Africa?

I was over last may and just wore my Irish setters and they worked fine. I did have a pair of leather danners and it was seriously so dry after 1 day they squeaked when walking, lol.
where are you going?

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcat
I'm headed to Africa for the first time and I'm told my Muck boots won't cut it. I'm looking for suggestions from someone who's "been there, done that" on what boots to buy. Russell's look great, but I could pay another trophy fee for what they cost. Thanks in advance for the help!

Ramcat
I have a friend that went over twice now call me some evening.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Capstick wore Clark's desert boots.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Any light weight water proof boot will be fine. Good huntin'
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:08 PM

If their aboriginal hunters go barefoot then you should be able to wear your tennis shoes and be way ahead of the curve! I'm just joking. What species are you getting tags for?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

My feet are too tender to go barefoot. I don't even like going barefoot in the driveway! Hoping for kudu, impala, warthog, zebra, and gemsbok.

Be good, and you will be lonesome.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:02 AM
The Man

I've been there 5 times. I usually just wear an ankle height hiking shoe. If you are going say late May through early September, you don't even need to worry about waterproof because it's the dry season. Unless you are hunting up around the C.A.R. or something like that.
If you plan to hunt in shorts at all, I'd recommend some type of gaiter on your leg. Most every bush over there is some type of thorny jaggers. Every time I wear shorts without a gaiter, I look like someone took a razor to me legs.
Make your shots count on the zebra and gemsbok. They are among the toughest animals over there IMHO. Good luck.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A lot depends on where in Africa you are hunting. Seeing gemsbok on your list I would assume you are going to southern Africa but terrain can be very different from one area to the next. Example the Eastern Cape has lots of very rocky mountains, & you will need boots with stiff soles to prevent hurting your feet. Other parts of the country are flat & sandy.
I use a light weight, ankle high, hiking boot with a aggressive sole. I also use gaiters (not snow gaiters) to keep the grass seeds out of my socks & other trash out of my boots. I generally wear long pants, light weight, green cotton that is double faced.
I also take two pairs of boots & alternate them every day so they have a chance to dry out from perspiration. Take a extra pair of socks and change at noon if necessary.
Weather, as mentioned it is generally the dry season, however one day in August ten years ago we had rain, sleet, & snow all in one day in the Eastern Cape. I always take a light weight waterproof jacket just in case.
Remember to bring some camp shoes. Also once the sun goes down the temperature can change quickly.
Watch the sun, I wear long sleeve shirts, not for warmth but to keep from getting burned. Look at the light weight fast dry shirts often used in fishing.
I have a small bag I put into the truck with some "stuff", extra socks, jacket, sun screen, extra ammo.
Another thing, stop at Walmart & get a big bag of Jolly Ranchers, the trackers & staff love them.
Last thing, keep a eye on US Customs. They are in process of changing what we need to do to travel out of the country with a rifle.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 04:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kebco please keep us updated on the change if you don't mind. Headed back to the Cape next April. TY and Good huntin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page