Binocular Harness Recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Binocular Harness Recommendations

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 10x42

I want to buy a harness. I'm intrigued with the S4 Gear Lockdown Harness.

I'd love to hear some reviews of harnesses. I'd also like to know what harness you would buy now if you were to buy a new harness.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:59 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Binocular Harness Recommendations

I have that harness.

It's ok. Some gripes:

-The binos can slide out the sides. They won't get dropped/damaged, as they're tethered. It's just a pain in the butt.

-The flap on the top is narrower than it should be, so it can let weather get to the oculars on your binos it it's really snowing or raining hard.

That said, it does work fairly well, and is better than a neck strap by far.

If you think you want one, I am not going to use mine at this point, and I got it for cheap. I could pass it along for a pretty good price, and it looks like it's nearly new. I used it for one season.

I used a HornHunter enclosure/harness this past season.

Pros-

-Binos are well-protected (completely enclosed)

-Rangefinder storage/carry system is awesome and works very, very well.

-Zippered rear pouch is perfect for a hunting license, pen, and zip ties.

Cons-

-fairly bulky on your chest, but I could bowhunt with it with no issues, so it's just a pet peeve.

-fabric would "squeak" if I had the binos out and resting on top of the enclosure. I solved it with some talcum powder from my wind indicator squeeze bottle. Maybe a trip through the laundry would solve it? Don't know.

-Flap is held shut with a magnet, which is nice for most uses, BUT....I use my bino's when blood trailing, and if you lean over enough for the bino's to lean on that top flap, it isn't strong enough of a magnet to keep them in and they push the flap open and spill out. I think I can solve this with a jury-rigged buckle or strap to lock it shut when I want it shut.

I actually went back to a plain, unenclosed harness ($20 Cabela's version) for flintlock season. One of those covers you can get that goes on the optic itself might be the fix for foul weather? Haven't tried them, but it looks promising and is cheaper.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a badlands harness. I really like it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big cat
I have a badlands harness. I really like it
Same here. Real comfortable harness, keeps binoculars close to your body. The neoprene harness also lays comfortably under your backpack straps for added comfort.
Dicks sells a copy cat version for about half the price.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just looked up harnesses and they have come a long way. Some look like backpacks now. Lol.

I remember crooked horn came on the hunting scene and everyone made a big deal about them. Others followed then crooked horn got a lot of bad reviews for Binos not staying secure.

Old news now, but I did a ton of research on this and at the time nimrod harness was #1. I still have them and use if quite a bit. They are very nice.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:56 PM

Crooked Horn Outfitters. I really like mine and my wife even uses them for a camera strap.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
I actually went back to a plain, unenclosed harness ($20 Cabela's version) for flintlock season. One of those covers you can get that goes on the optic itself might be the fix for foul weather? Haven't tried them, but it looks promising and is cheaper.
I have the Cabelas version for maybe 10 years now, with the Cabelas bino cover that just covers the top and forward portions of the binos. No real complaints. The elastic is finally getting stretched after all that use now. Only negative might be that the cover is tough to get off the eye end and the focus wheel with one hand if you have your gun or walking staff in your other hand, but I can't imagine an easier set-up either. I only have the cover over it on inclement days anyhow. I have some other brands here to try now that I bought over time expecting this one to go bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page