Newfoundland rain gear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Newfoundland rain gear

Going on a moose hunt next year and I am looking for recommendations on rain gear. This is what I was thinking but looking for advice as well. Cabelas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:21 PM
The Man

Re: Newfoundland rain gear

I have hunted NFLD quite a few times. Looking for quality rain gear is a great idea. I have spent entire weeks there where it never quit raining the whole time. If you are anywhere near a Cabelas , GM or Bass Pro Shop, or any other outdoor clothing store for that matter, I would go and try some outfits on and see which you think will be the quietest.

You tend to do a great deal of walking in NFLD and noisy rain gear will get you busted. I use Gore Tex pants and parka but still get wet at times. If it's not all that cold, you usually just tough it out but it still can get kinda miserable. I would not select the rain gear by looking at a catalog or website.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I do plan on going to Cabelas, just trying to narrow it down. I also have a new gun itch I'm trying to avoid for this hunt and just take my .308 for moose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not sure what month you are going in but temperature swings can be pretty good also.
I bought rain gear but never used it. I instead opted to just wear my waterproof jacket with removable liner and water proof pants. Jacket has a hood.
I stayed dry and comfortable in some miserable all day hunts.
My outer clothes dried out what little they needed overnight. Also take waterproof gloves.
Your 308 will do the job.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunted there in 2008 and got hit with bad weather. Cabelas dry-plus performed flawlessly. Lots of great stuff out there but like kudu58 said there is some noisey materials. Stay away from those. Your .308 will work fine on moose. Good huntin'
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 05:28 PM

I hunted there also in 2005. You will want good rain gear but another thing to consider is good boots. The area I hunted, the ground was soggy. Wherever you stepped, an 18 inch puddle would form around your boot in most places. You will want a knee high type boot. Avoid leather and get a rubber/synthetic type boot. I wore Lacrosse Alpha Burly uninsulated with wool socks. We hunted the first week of October.

Leather will get heavy as it gets wet. There are several brands of knee high type boots out there, Muck boots and others. You will probably walk a lot so you want lighter gear. It is a different world up there, take a good camera!

I used an '06. The .308 will be fine just use a heavier grain bullet. Actually the guides we had liked when hunters showed up with non magnum rifles. They told us they see too many guys coming up there with magnums and they couldn't shoot and flinched a lot. They said when a hunter showed with a 30.06, 270, 308, etc... They knew the hunter would probably shoot better.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

For the money I haven't found anything better than KUIU. I hunted there last year and while we didn't get wet, having good packable rain gear was a must!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 10:58 AM

I'd look hard for the military surplus gortex stuff. I've been there three times and mine help up well. Much cheaper than a lot of the name brand stuff. Plenty quiet. Last trip one of the guys bought a off brand rain suit from Dicks or Dunhams, sounded like a herd of buffalo moving through any kind of brush.

Don't let our differences defeat us.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like the military Gore Tex too but it is not quiet. I also have Cabelas Alaskan Guide Gore Tex rain gear and it is good. Again, though, it is pretty noisy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:56 PM

Rivers west ,, works good ,make sure you get big enough to fit over everything else you might have on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page