nikon prostaff bdc - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

nikon prostaff bdc

thinking of converting all of my rifles to one type of scope. what are your pros, and cons of the Nikons with the bdc? Thanks, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 01:49 PM

Re: nikon prostaff bdc

sorry to jump in here, I have no info on the Nikon BDC scopes but I am interested in them. I would just like to add a question if 257bob doesn't mind.

does anyone know what size of an area those circles cover at a certain distance?

Thanks, Mike

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for jumping in bohunr, that was also a question that i had as well. 257bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

i have wondered why circles, and not hash marks of some type.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 03:34 AM
The Man

Of course it all depends on where your zero is how far you can shoot with the BDC circles. 100 yards bullseye or a 200 yard bullseye.. I have the apps the Nikon pushes. you input the commercial ammo on a drop down. the caliber of course, where your going to zero it.. 50, 100, 150, 200 etc and it calculates for your caliber and BDC scope the yard where all the bullets will hit bulleye using the applicable BDC dots.. I have recently started using Nikon scopes on my fox and coyote guns and they are grouping nice and are working for me at night time with a shooting light attached to the top of the scope..It's called NIKON SPOTON. You can even input the wind velocity and it will calculate where to aim for wind drift too...to sum it up... all BDC points don't shoot let say at 150, 200, 300, It depends on the bullet, caliber, and where you zero the gun in for.. go to Nikon web site and trigger the SPOTON simulator that will show you how the IPHONE APPS works..Sadly there is a small charge for the apps but if you want to have an idea where your particular caliber going to hit you might want to consider it...I do know that for example..Cabelas unique caliber BDC scopes will kind of tell you where let say their 35 Rem 4570, 3030 BDC will hit.. However this is just for these particular designated scope for lever actions. In other words if you have a 30/30 you buy the 30/30 Cableas BDC scope.. I have used the Spoton for non NIKON scope intput to.. If I have a 3 X 9 40 mm I pick out the Nikon 3 X 9 40 MM as the scope of choice on the apps.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks uncle buck, my guess is that a bdc scope, no matter who makes it, is probably not the best thing for someone like myself that will reload 6 rounds at a time with different grains, and powders just to head to the range to shoot groups.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 12:58 AM
The Man

I suppose your right if you reload totally. However just say if you buy one of the Cabelas 35 Rem, 4570, 3030, scopes etc.. Once you do hit on at 100 yards the BDC should work close for the 150, 200 yard shots.. I like the Cabelas designated scopes for my 35 Rem and 4570. Also would any scope actually work if you reload. At least you do have a aiming point on a BDC scope. If you have an area that you can then set up at 200 and 250 yards after you zero in at 100 yards the BDC would still be better than no BDC dots at all.?????????? It all depends on how you look at things..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 01:02 PM

I finally found out that the first circle covers 2 inches at 200 yards and its gets worse the farther out you go.

I will try to find more and post it here. it seems this type of info is hard to find, almost like a secret they don't want to let out.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have two of the scopes you mentioned. I like em and use the bdc for shooting ghogs. The main crosshair is a fine crosshair and i have no issues testing loads. Not to sure what you need this scope for but it works well for the price i paid for them.

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page