All day outerwear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

All day outerwear

I was brought up that in rifle season, you get up the stand before light, and don't get down until the sun is down or you shoot, or we agree to make drives at a certain time. It has always been that way and still is with our group of guys. I remember shivering many times up the tree wondering why I bother putting myself through this... That was when I was wearing cotton flannel shirts, cotton long johns, jeans, cotton "hunting" socks, and covering it up with a cheap insulated coverall. Thanks to the internet, I've been much better at layering with proper clothing, but I still wear an inexpensive insulated coverall as my outer layer.
What do you suggest I wear as an outer layer for those cold all day sits in 20+ winds, sleet, rain, snow, etc. I pack the outer layer to the stand. I now wear merino wool midweight base, fleece pants and top as mid layer, and pack a Woolrich shirt as a second mid layer if needed. I would like something not very bulky, windproof, open camo pattern to break up my silhouette. What do you suggest?

"If you're in the woods, you have a chance." - Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 PM
The Man

Re: All day outerwear

Cabelas Berber fleece wind shear

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:01 PM
The Man

Never wore cotton jeans. Always an old pair of wool pants. Helped keep the weight under control.

Now carry a hand warmer value pack in the day pack.
10 pairs of hand warmers bought during the summer.

If frigid never stay in one stand in one spot. Never expected to do the impossible. Besides, deer move too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I prefer to wear insulated bibs and parka. You chest and back are double insulated. Plus what ever you choose underneath.
I had coveralls before. Just didnt cut it with me,to restricive and not comfortable at all.

Ya those hand warmers are a plus too!

Hunt with your kids not for them.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

My hands are usually ok, and my feet stay pretty good. The problem I have is the wind and dampness cut through my current coverall and chill me quickly. I have seen the Berber fleece, but how does it hold up over time?
Must42tang, I love reading your posts, thanks for the response. I will say, the all day sits have faired well for me in rifle, as many of my harvests have come between 10 and 2, when a lot of guys are eating lunch and B-Sing (nothing wrong with that, that's part of the appeal for some)

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't have one but I hear those heater body suits work well.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 08:59 PM

I have a one piece riding suit made by Firstgear that I use when riding motorcycle when it gets cold (down into the teens). The thing is ridiculously warm, windproof and waterproof(ish). I've contemplated using it on the occasional cold day on stand. The downside is that it's solid black and the outer shell is rather noisy. On a windy day though, that suit would be awesome.

WMU 3A
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'm still researching outer garments. Does anyone have any experience with Day One outerwear, Enigma Wolfskin, or Arctic Shield?
I have seen the the Body Suit style stuff, but I am not interested in one of those. I don't like the idea of having my arms inside a garment when 25' up even being strapped in. Also, when a platform is wet or slick from the elements, I want my boot soles touching it and not fabric. They seem like they are great for hunting from a blind, but not something I'm interested in.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Regular Visitor

Check out Rivers West stuff. My brother in-law, Dad, and I all love ours. And First Lite for merino wool layering underneath. Artic Shield boot blankets are the best thing for hunting that I ever bought.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 PM
dce
Sage

Arctic shield is lightweight and extremely warm.I bought a mid weight jacket two years ago that keeps me very warm down into the 20's with just a couple layers underneath.That's saying something because I hate the cold.It's actually too warm to walk around in.I usually take it off when I'm walking and strap in to the back of my vest.I would imagine one of the warmer ones would do the trick even better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page