Gripe about Wolverine boots, suggestions needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Gripe about Wolverine boots, suggestions needed

So, I'm in need of some new boots and I go to the Boot Box looking for my favorite Wolverine boots. They aren't the greatest, but they stay waterproof for a few years of hard use and they usually only run about $80 or so.

I finally found them, but something looked wrong. I finally realized that they stopped lining them with GoreTex and Thinsulate. Checked online as well and none of their boots are shown as having Goretex. I've bought these types of boots before and if I can get 4-5 uses out of them that's lucky. So now I stay away from them at all costs.

So, I have to start looking for a new make of boot after 15 or so years.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a boot that is 1) Goretex 2) all leather, a little cordura is OK 3) under $100 as I eat footwear. The last pair of "good" boots I bought(Danner I think) lasted just as long as the Wolverines did. So why pay $2-300 when $80 last just as long.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 PM
The Man

Re: Gripe about Wolverine boots, suggestions needed

i feel your pain. i have tried them all and they all suck. I spent the money for Danner and while they were the most comfortable boot i ever wore they leaked in 2 trips. I got them replaced and they made it until the end of bobcat season. Rocky...never had good pair yet...rubber boots are waterproof until the first stick goes through .....all the hype about muck is bunk ....
the last pair i had were irish setter. they made it almost 2 seasons before they crapped out. at 200 bucks that averages to a 100 a year and about what i was spending every season for the other junk so that's where i am at. if you find a better deal let me know!

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I buy wolverines for my work boots. Spend around $160 on them. They hold up and don't leak. My hunting boots are Irish Setters and Danner. They hold up good as well.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 07:48 PM

I'd say Irish setters or danners. When I worked landscaping, I used to use strictly Carolina's. Unfortunately they don't make a hunting boot. I have a pair of hiking boots made by LL Bean that are the best that I have ever owned. Idk if they make hunting boots of the same style though.

I personally prefer leather...the more the merrier. I don't think many of the synthetics made today are up to par.
I personally would stay away from Rockies, wolverine, and anything cheap.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

A local gun shop near me has Bates army issue boots that I have been using the past few years. They are Gor-Tex and have almost no break-in time. They last 2 to 3 years and only cost $60.00.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 11:05 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntined
A local gun shop near me has Bates army issue boots that I have been using the past few years. They are Gor-Tex and have almost no break-in time. They last 2 to 3 years and only cost $60.00.
+1 on the Bates boots.

Sporstman's Guide carries them too. I've been wearing them at work (they get worked pretty hard) for 3 or 4 years and am VERY happy with the bang-for-my-buck factor.

P.S. The first set of Danners I bought was the LAST set of Danners I'll ever buy. Their customer service just STINKS !!!!!!

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Irish setter makes a super lightweight 800 gram goretex boot that seems awesome, UNTIL you wear them twice, then they leak. Counting replacements we had 3 pairs leak and 1 pair come apart. Last pair of Alpha burleys I bought the sole came off in a week. The only guys I know who have good luck with Danner spend most of their time in the truck. Everybody else has leaky pronghorns. Got a buddy who went the high dollar route, and it took him three tries to get a pair that didn't leak. So in other words, the entire boot industry is basically crap. I used to get 7 to 8 years out of hunting boots. Rocky, lacrosse, and a pair of alphas.My dad got 15 years out of his old danners. I strictly wear my hunting boots only when hunting. That helps, but for the last several years everything I have tried has been disappointing.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntined
Are they waterproof?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yes they are Gor-Tex. I have not had a pair leak yet. Usually I buy a new pair when the sole is too worn down to give me good traction (about 2 to 3 years). I have also seen the same boots for sale at the local gun shows.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 06:42 AM

Don't buy China manufactured boots. My advice.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page