Upland gloves - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Upland gloves

I am looking to do some upgrading to my upland wardrobe and am looking for a new pair of gloves, specifically a late fall or winter glove. I have gloves for the early season when things aren't so cold, but my late season selection is lacking. What do you guys use and recommend? I prefer something not too terribly bulky that is just the right combo of warm while still functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 06:35 PM

Re: Upland gloves

I use thin gloves and put hand warmer on top of hand inside. Also if real cold put warmwrs in pockets to. Hands always warm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

you say upland so I am assuming you are after birds or bunnies...if that is the case I can tell you what has worked for me for the last dozen years...military nomex flight gloves...soft pliable leather and tough nomex fabric. they stretch enough to offer decent dexterity for reloads and pocket rummaging yet are tough enough to endure the briar patches and thickets. there is no insulation, but if you are truly upland hunting the blood is flowing and body temp up.
my only gripe comes with them being G.I. issue... lowest bidding contractor...i.e. single stitch seams...it takes a needle and thread to keep them serviceable...but a few stitches will keep them going for at least a decade

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Falls city...spot on. I'm referring to birds and bunnies through the thick stuff. I have had a heck of a time trying to get a glove that's tough enough, and thick enough to be warm enough without being too warm
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 11:19 PM
Sage

I just use the brown cotton jersey gloves for late season..12 pair or so for about 8 bucks, about useless once they get wet but carrying two or three pair is easy enough.. light functional cheap and flexible They are all I need for late season bunnies.

I use leather for the earlier fall seasons

wmu 3A
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know what you are saying on finding just the right thing. And the Chinese made stuff often doesnt fit your trigger finger well enuf for dexterity. Golf and baseball batting gloves usually can fit pretty well, and sometimes you can find them on clearance this time of the year. Ck out the various Mechanix gloves in the auto section of the Walmart or such stores. Walmart has a decent selection of all sorts of gloves in the hunting section this time of year too. I tend to use a thin poly liner from surplus places, with a cutoff or fingerless over-glove if it's cold. My hands sweat a lot then get cold. The poly alone keeps them dry and warm alone till below freezing, esp. if I'm moving. Really cold, I use a wool fingerless over top. Maybe with a folding mitten if stand hunting.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

I wear a pair of deerskin gloves..... (larger than my normal glove size...if you can find them) and wear a pair of glove liners underneath. If your hands start to sweat, just pull the liners off!

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Try the Cabela's Camoskinz II GORE-TEX® Insulated Gloves.

I will never understand why people can be so blinded by a liar.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 10:08 PM
PBR
Part of the Community

Check out the Under Armour Speed Freak Gloves. I was out last Tuesday in sub 30 degree weather upland hunting and was comfortable. Once you get moving in the woods you get good blood flow.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua...cid1250155-946
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 01:59 PM

The Cabela's Camoskinz II GORE-TEX® Insulated Gloves are warm, but they would be nicer if they came up a little higher on your wrist.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page