Elevated Permanent Deer Stand, progress! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Elevated Permanent Deer Stand, progress!

So I got the itch to build a stand I could sit in and really be comfortable. I hunt a piece of property owned by a family member and in the past they had suggested I build a permanent stand instead of using my ladder stand. So I took them up on it. While there are deer on this property. Itís not a hot spot. But is good to try to pick up a doe or see the lone buck.

I didnít want to invest a ton of money. To only figure out afterwards I could have just bought a prefabricated elevated box blind for a few dollars more. I am on a budget with everything these days it seems. So I set to work looking for suitable materials. I came across 20 or so shipping pallets for free. It took me just a few hours to break them down. I needed to use an angle grinder to nip some of the heads of the nails off. But in the end I had a good amount of workable wood. Some heavy duty lag bolts, plenty of 3 inch screws and some chain around the tree and two donated small trees and I have an 18 foot tall platform as a start.

In the next few days I plan on putting up some sides about three feet high. I want to make sure I am covered enough while Iím sitting in side and at the same time I want to be able to shoot out of it. I have a few hinges and a handle to make a good door.

Iíll then put on the roof about 6 foot at its finished height. I am going to make the roof sloped at 6.5 feet in the front and 6 foot in the back. I am going to be using some 8 foot x 5.5 inch fence pickets for the roof. I wanted to water proof the roof from leaks. I thought about two options. First was to cover the whole roof with some thick plastic I have and stapling it all down. Second option was going to be an OSI gutter sealant or some vulkum caulk and just fill the cracks between the boards because they are already pressure treated. Ö.not sure which one to use??

I built the platform so big because I want to be able to fit more than one person inside at a time. Two max just to be safe. The goal was to build a nice stand to hunt in the bad weather until my kids get old enough to hunt with me and they we can use it for them to start out in. Then we will have a nice safe place to sit for them to learn from. Let me know what you think and any advice from experienced builders would be greatly appreciated.

I know in the pictures this thing does not look level, but I assure you it is. I have set the level on this thing a hundred times and it is an optical illusion. lol Or the ladder brace is not level. But the platform is!!! lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Elevated Permanent Deer Stand, progress!

Looks good. Keep us updated.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM
The Man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 PM

Make sure it stays stable on a windy days.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

So what do you guys think about sealing the cracks between the roof boards? A form of caulk? Or a big sheet of plastic? or Both????
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well two work days later and itís all done. Framed with 3 foot walls all the way around. A nice swing in door with a single lock at the bottom of the outside and two locks in the inside. I used fence pickets for roof supports and used 3 sheets of galvanized steel roofing for the roof. I put two more supports under the stand just in-case.
I sat down inside. I think I made it a little big. I think 5x5 or 4x4 might have been a better size. But I am sure when my father is up there with me and my kids we will have enough room on their first hunt. The 6x6 size kind of cuts off my view on the sides a little. I will have to stand up to make a bow shot. But in rifle I can stay seated and use the edges as a rest. Iíll be down and out of the wind, for the most part and most importantly Iíll have a roof over my head on the days I want to hunt, and Mother Nature decides she wants to water the grass or cover everything with snow.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:18 PM

Never Misses
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Looks great

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys. I want to put a bow holder in there somewhere. Just not sure the best place for it yet. Any upgrade ideas from anyone that has build these in the past?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page