The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

NY magazine capcity

3K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
I am not sure if this is the correct forum if not move to appropriate forum please …

I recently bought a CZ 75 Compact P-01 …. regular mags are 14 round of which I have 2 and I bought 2 10 round after market mags.

If I carry under LEOSA provision in NYS, can I use either magazine size if I load only 7 rounds in either or am I SOL?

#2 ·
i would say SOL because the magazine capacity is over what they allow. i too have my leosa and have been talking with Congressman Kellys office to get things like this changed.

you can be a retired FBI agent, carry under LEOSA and get nabbed and jailed for having to many rounds in your carry gun, even under LEOSA...makes no sense.

I want it changed to whatever is legal in your state is legal everywhere under LEOSA !!

HEY..whats french fry maker at McDonalds doing with a LEOSA card :)

#3 ·
I am a LEOSA instructor and always tell the guys I qualify to follow the rules of the state you may be going into. The LEOSA website is a wealth of information regarding these types of questions. New York is a 7 round mag capacity State. When I go to Lake Oneida I take a Glock 43 which is a 6 round mag. You cant interpret how many rounds you have in the mag, it is what the mag is capable of holding.

#16 ·
Well, if you are qualified to instruct and qualify LEOSA, I would brush up on your knowledge if I were you. I do LEOSA and NY is a 10-round Mag limit, not 7-rounds. The 7-round Mag limit was struck down in 2013. This is copied from safeact.ny.gov.

Magazines
Q: How does the SAFE Act impact magazines?
A: Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds. This continues to be true today. You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured. If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you have until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, transfer it to a law enforcement agency or officer, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser

#6 ·
i would like to see a National permit good in all 50 states, its in the constitution, called the 2A. last time i checked the 2A wasnt bound by State lines, its good across the entire Nation. its Federal, not just local. why our permits have state line boundaries is unreasonable and unconstitutional.
in my opinion!

#7 ·
If I remember right there are 38 states that recognize the PA CCP. Not sure of which ones do not but I am sure there is a list out there. The ones that do not recognize ours are probably the most liberal states. This is why I love LEOSA. I can carry anywhere in the United States and at least be able to protect myself. So sad the average law abiding citizen cannot travel into some states and not be able to protect themselves.

#9 ·
i also agree that we dont need permits, the 2A says nothing about that. but since the Government is in the business of creating permits for CC and NFA items they should have one thats good everywhere. just fill out a form similar to the NFA forms and wait 8 months :)

#10 ·
Since my cabin in Tioga Co. is only about a half mile from the NY line and there's a dandy little shop over in Troupsburg, that happens to have darn near anything I might need at camp (electrical, plumbing, replacement tractor belts, etc) I go over there frequently.

Trained myself long ago, to let handguns at camp. Then Coo-MOO and company passed the SAFE act. Came back from that shop one day, opened the back of the truck cab up to get my goodies and noticed the loaded 20 and 30 round AR mags in a door pocket.

Oops! Now they get left in PA, too. One of my southern PA cousins bought hunting land over there in Steuben Co. a few years ago. One day when I was over for a visit, he mentioned bringing his 44 Mag. along. He has the PA-LTCF, told him that ain't gonna keep him outta jail, over there.

Reactions: bohunr
#11 ·
I am not sure if this is the correct forum if not move to appropriate forum please …

I recently bought a CZ 75 Compact P-01 …. regular mags are 14 round of which I have 2 and I bought 2 10 round after market mags.

If I carry under LEOSA provision in NYS, can I use either magazine size if I load only 7 rounds in either or am I SOL?

I carried a Glock 19 into Jersey and got stopped by the State Police. Bad contact from the start. These three troopers, one stopped me, two hear GUN and showed up. I was pretty proud of myself attracting so much attention but I am 6'3 320 lbs, so I get it. I call them the three little pigs... and I work in LE... but none the less, the three little pigs it is. They took my gun apart, emptied my magazines to determine if my ammo was hollowpoint (Illegal in Jerk Off Jersey). One guy came to question me, I told him to F Off, and now they want to search my vehicle.. with NO PROBABLE CAUSE. So, I tell lil pig #1 to F Off one more time and get a supervisor. Now mind you, they have my creds, and my darn gun. What else do you need? So the Supervisor shows up, and scolds them and brings me my stuff back. Since I am a Lieutenant, they brought a LT to the scene. He shook my hand apologized, and I said cool...… NOT BEFORE I told the three lil pigs of how unprofessional they are, and more colorful terms like their **** looking powder blue uniforms look... I think I told them , if you wanna see a cop that dresses like a man, check out a PA State Trooper. I hadda get a Pennsylvania Free State Dig on the commies.
Bottom Line... LEOSA STINKS IN JERSEY. NY not so much. I usually carry my S&W SHIELD, but the NY State guys and locals are pretty cool from my contacts since I work in NY. Just do what 378/300 says... better to be careful.... play nice.. and just cause you have your badge or creds, not all the others out there respect them... most do, its just those like the 3 lil pigs.

#13 ·
Pahack I was going to mention Hollow Point bullets not allowed in New Jersey until I saw your post.

I just don't understand why you can't. Do they think it would penetrate their bullet proof vest. I don't think So but probably some type of FMJ would.

Several times I had official business with some local departments and the State Police and had to cross over into that communist state and always wondered if me and my partner would get harassed because of our duty weapons having hollow points.

I wonder if the NRA has anything to say about this.

Reactions: bohunr
#15 ·
Pahack I was going to mention Hollow Point bullets not allowed in New Jersey until I saw your post.

I just don't understand why you can't. Do they think it would penetrate their bullet proof vest. I don't think So but probably some type of FMJ would.

Several times I had official business with some local departments and the State Police and had to cross over into that communist state and always wondered if me and my partner would get harassed because of our duty weapons having hollow points.

I wonder if the NRA has anything to say about this.

A gun organization in Jersey sued or is suing the government to overturn the law, and I knew they were supported by the NRA. I can't remember the case though.

#17 ·
Hollow points are NOT illegal in NJ if you are covered by LEOSA. A 2010 amendment to LEOSA allows the carrying of ammunition as long as it is not banned by the National Firearms Act of 1934.

I routinely carry in both NY and NJ for numerous LE firearms training seminars and every NJ LEO that I have spoken to is aware of LEOSA and it’s allowances.

#18 ·
I am not LE, but I did attend various training while a team HE Captain, and can clear up the hollow point thing in NJ.

Under the criminal code, section 7, hollow points are not legal
Under tittle 23, the fish and game code, hollow points are legal for sporting purposes. (Hunting)

While they NEVER elaborate on concealed carry over there, I can only assume that LE covered under LEOSA would be restricted to non-hollow points, (can't say about soft point), and whichever magazine capacity is allowed by law this week.

As for bohunr's post about National carry license, I don't want the Federal Government in a position to decide my "eligibility" to carry. The 2nd Amendment already has decided that. If a CCW is going to be necesary, then ANY carry permit issued in the USA should be honored in ANY state in AMERICA, with NO registration of any type allowed by either federal or state agencies.

#20 ·
GOT this hand out from our instructor when I qualified last September. Like herding cats.

https://daiglelawgroup.com/leosa-state-by-state-why-are-retired-police-officers-having-problems/

was 13 pages but here is the concluding remarks.

Concluding Remarks
LEOs need to be familiar with the firearm laws of their state or of the state they intend to visit. If LEOs need to travel to another state because of an emergency or an unplanned vacation they should consult with an attorney with knowledge of the laws of that state, call a local law enforcement agency or they should leave their firearms behind in accordance with the laws of their state. When there are work related assignments, the district/city attorney of the LEO’s law enforcement agency, should find out the necessary requirements and provide the information to the LEO. If a LEO is stopped in another state by another LEO, he/she should notify that officer that he/she is carrying a concealed weapon immediately. The LEO should also provide the officer with the identification that authorizes him/her carrying the concealed weapon. Having said that, a LEO should not assume the risk, hoping he/she would not get caught or that he/she would receive professional courtesy from another LEO. Prevention is key, so LEOs must learn the laws of the state they will visit or move into before taking bringing their weapons.

#22 ·
Agree 100%. Steve can say whatever he wants about LEOSA and I feel he is right, But I do not want to be the guy locked up for having hollow point ammo in NJ or a 15 round mag that is not fixed to 10 rounds in NY. I will stick with what works for me and let the guys I qualify make their own decisions. Do what you feel is right until you are locked up in any given state. The law is still on the books in NY about 7 round mags.

#32 ·
I have been a firearms instructor for over 20 years. Brother you can give the people your instruct the info you want and I will do the same. To me I will gladly abide by the state I am going to be in as a private citizen as a LEOSA carrier. You can site all the old fed ammo stuff from 1934. Means nothing when you get locked up. And NY believe it or not still has a 7 round mag law still on the books. Carry on and be safe.

#37 · (Edited)
i called congressman Kellys Office about leosa yesterday. i asked the guy on the phone to have Kelly look at leosa and see if he can simplify the rules to make it so that what ever is legal in the leo's home state is legal where ever they go under leosa. he agreed that it needs to say that and will get back to me. i will update when i get an update.

concerned others should call him and their congress people too.

Added: i also called congressman Glenn thompson

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.