Virginia bill will make indoor ranges Illegal !! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Virginia bill will make indoor ranges Illegal !!

Virginia House Bill 567 Makes Indoor Shooting Ranges Illegal
Virginia Legislative Information Tracking System ^ | January 6, 2020 | oldvirginian

Posted on 1/7/2020, 8:24:47 AM by oldvirginian

The following bill, profiled January 6, 2020, in the Virginia House of Delegates makes indoor shooting ranges not owned by government illegal to own and operate.

HOUSE BILL NO. 567

Offered January 8, 2020

Prefiled January 6, 2020

A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding in Article 3 of Chapter 12 of Title 18.2 a section numbered 18.2-511.2, relating to indoor shooting ranges; prohibited in buildings not owned or leased by the Commonwealth or federal government; exceptions; civil penalty.

---------- Patron-- Helmer

---------- Committee Referral Pending

---------- Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding in Article 3 of Chapter 12 of Title 18.2 a section numbered 18.2-511.2 as follows:

18.2-511.2. Indoor shooting ranges; prohibited in private buildings; exceptions; penalty.

A. As used in this section, "indoor shooting range" means any fully enclosed or indoor area or facility designed for the use of rifles, shotguns, pistols, silhouettes, skeet, trap, or black powder or any other similar sport shooting.

B. It is unlawful to operate an indoor shooting range in any building not owned or leased by the Commonwealth or the federal government unless (i) fewer than 50 employees work in the building or (ii) (a) at least 90 percent of the users of the indoor shooting range are law-enforcement officers, as defined in 9.1-101, or federal law-enforcement officers, (b) the indoor shooting range maintains a log of each user's name, phone number, address, and the law-enforcement agency where such user is employed, and (c) the indoor shooting range verifies each user's identity and address by requiring all users to present a government-issued photo-identification card.

C. Any person that violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of not less than $1,000 nor more than $100,000 for the initial violation and $5,000 per day for each day of violation thereafter.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 01-07-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:40 AM
The Man

Quote:
(i) fewer than 50 employees work in the building or (ii)

So under (i), if the building has less than 50 employees, anyone may operate an indoor facility. The operative word at the end of (i) is "or", not "and", meaning that (ii) does not apply if (i) is met.

Sounds like a lead exposure thing as opposed to a second amendment thing to me?
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Does the NRA have a range in it's HQ building? If so, might be the primary target of this bill.
bohunr, loridr, freeze and 1 others like this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

wonder if this passes if they would go after outdoor ranges next and sportsman clubs ranges as well ?
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 12:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCozhunter View Post
Does the NRA have a range in it's HQ building? If so, might be the primary target of this bill.
YEP....

https://nrahqrange.nra.org/
bohunr likes this.

Suburban redneck.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
wonder if this passes if they would go after outdoor ranges next and sportsman clubs ranges as well ?

I don't think that's even a question with the current VA government.
bohunr likes this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:44 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCozhunter View Post

Excellent point. It appears you are right per post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25 View Post
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 03:46 PM

Again with the FAKE NEWS. Heading said Virginia makes indoor gun ranges illegal. 1) It is only a legislative bill, like all of them that stands less than a 10% chance of getting out of committee. 2) it does not make private indoor ranges illegal unless there are over 50 employees in the building. Even if it passes, it will only affect a very few of the existing indoor ranges. (The one I shot at in Virginia was in an old warehouse. with no other businesses) Now in addition, there is a push in small towns and municipalities to establish 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries where restrictions on firearms may not be enforced. (Taking a note from those who harbor illegal aliens.)

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/ne...S-vblTuR1scOz4
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen View Post
Again with the FAKE NEWS. Heading said Virginia makes indoor gun ranges illegal. 1) It is only a legislative bill, like all of them that stands less than a 10% chance of getting out of committee. 2) it does not make private indoor ranges illegal unless there are over 50 employees in the building. Even if it passes, it will only affect a very few of the existing indoor ranges. (The one I shot at in Virginia was in an old warehouse. with no other businesses) Now in addition, there is a push in small towns and municipalities to establish 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries where restrictions on firearms may not be enforced. (Taking a note from those who harbor illegal aliens.)

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/ne...S-vblTuR1scOz4

its not fake news, if the bill passes, they will be illegal but i fixed the title for you...Better ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 06:19 PM

Yes you fixed part of it. It still does not close private ranges in buildings where there are fewer than 50 employees. The bill is most likely is directly targeting the NRA range in Fairfax.

And as originally worded, it was indeed at a minimum distorted news.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in