The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

A Matter of Perspective

3K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
Yes, the Second Amendment guarantees use the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. It was so important to the Founding Fathers that they listed it number 2 on their list. Our friends on the left choose to view this amendment very narrowly and claim that they are concerned with "Gun Safety" and claim that the country (and world) would be better off without guns. To be honest, I'm not sure what the left's agenda is when it comes to Gun Control, but I feel that they are simply brainwashed by the promises of their chosen political leaders.

FOR ME; the Second Amendment is a matter of perspective. I strongly believe that Founding Fathers realized that the People needed AND deserved a right to protect themselves. To protect themselves from whether it be a foreign enemy, tyrannical government, someone breaking into your house, or a person committing mass murder!

It completely boggles my mind that people actually believe that if guns were outlawed, criminals would obey that law.

Who the ---- is anyone to dictate to me how I should protect my family?? If someone breaks into my house, i want to meet that threat with the best weapons possible and more than enough ammo to to get the job done.

I cant stand when I hear people say, "Why do you need a AR to hunt?" or "Why do you need a 30 round magazine to hunt?" I don't!! I would never hunt with those; but I'd protect my family with those. It's common sense!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, the Second Amendment guarantees use the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. It was so important to the Founding Fathers that they listed it number 2 on their list. Our friends on the left choose to view this amendment very narrowly and claim that they are concerned with "Gun Safety" and claim that the country (and world) would be better off without guns. To be honest, I'm not sure what the left's agenda is when it comes to Gun Control, but I feel that they are simply brainwashed by the promises of their chosen political leaders.

FOR ME; the Second Amendment is a matter of perspective. I strongly believe that Founding Fathers realized that the People needed AND deserved a right to protect themselves. To protect themselves from whether it be a foreign enemy, tyrannical government, someone breaking into your house, or a person committing mass murder!

It completely boggles my mind that people actually believe that if guns were outlawed, criminals would obey that law.

Who the ---- is anyone to dictate to me how I should protect my family?? If someone breaks into my house, i want to meet that threat with the best weapons possible and more than enough ammo to to get the job done.

I cant stand when I hear people say, "Why do you need a AR to hunt?" or "Why do you need a 30 round magazine to hunt?" I don't!! I would never hunt with those; but I'd protect my family with those. It's common sense!

Hi Vince. I see the tag under your name says "New Arrival" But you joined in 2016. 30 posts. Either you don't hang around here much or you ain't got much to say. No matter, cool either way. :smile2:
Here's the thing. I read your post and I do not disagree. Serious business. As it was last week when somebody else posted the same facts. And every body jumped in to rant about the libs and gun control and their coming their coming! Same as was posted the week before that. and the one before that and the month before that and the years before that. Been hearing all this since for some time now. About 45 years as a matter of fact. Some just seem to enjoy worrying, fretting, and basically being consumed by this stuff. I really think they like it. But some of us, me included here, figure it this way. We vote in every election. And brother we vote conservative. We vote republican and we get our family's to vote. Some join the NRA, and gun clubs, and we support the local gun stores. We don't shop in stores that don't value freedom and don't support our rights as free men. That's really all we can do isn't it?

What we don't do is stay mad 24 seven. worry night and day and feed our own fears about their coming their coming cause the fact is this. Nobody has lost one gun or one round of ammo. 8 years of obama and we never lost a gun.

Like I said, this is serious business. We must continue to do the things we can to preserve our rights and our way of life. But we also need to keep all this in perspective. We will ALL know when the real confrontation happens. If it ever ever does. It wont be any time soon.

Good luck, good hunting.

#5 ·
"Here's the thing. I read your post and I do not disagree. Serious business. As it was last week when somebody else posted the same facts. And every body jumped in to rant about the libs and gun control and their coming their coming! Same as was posted the week before that. and the one before that and the month before that and the years before that. Been hearing all this since for some time now. About 45 years as a matter of fact. Some just seem to enjoy worrying, fretting, and basically being consumed by this stuff. I really think they like it. But some of us, me included here, figure it this way. We vote in every election. And brother we vote conservative. We vote republican and we get our family's to vote. Some join the NRA, and gun clubs, and we support the local gun stores. We don't shop in stores that don't value freedom and don't support our rights as free men. That's really all we can do isn't it?

What we don't do is stay mad 24 seven. worry night and day and feed our own fears about their coming their coming cause the fact is this. Nobody has lost one gun or one round of ammo. 8 years of obama and we never lost a gun.

Like I said, this is serious business. We must continue to do the things we can to preserve our rights and our way of life. But we also need to keep all this in perspective. We will ALL know when the real confrontation happens. If it ever ever does. It wont be any time soon.

Good luck, good hunting."[/QUOTE]

There is no doubt what-so-ever in my mind that a W-H-O-L-E lot of people in Australia, the U.K., and New Zealand thought (take note of past tense) the same thing.

#19 ·
"Here's the thing. I read your post and I do not disagree. Serious business. As it was last week when somebody else posted the same facts. And every body jumped in to rant about the libs and gun control and their coming their coming!

Nobody has lost one gun or one round of ammo. 8 years of obama and we never lost a gun.

"

No but we DID lose Bump Stocks. what does that tell you ?

#6 ·
No one that I know "stays mad 24/7" we are just being vigilant...as the old saying goes...there is always a first time for everything...and we will not get caught off guard...IMO... whenever there is "gun control" legislation on the table... believing nothing is going to happen any time soon...would be a mistake.

#11 ·
Keep in mind that this whole thing is amplified right now due to more frequent mass shootings. Politicians realize that they must appear to be doing something (even though what they are attempting will not solve the problem). Its all about looking like they are doing something. Doesn't matter if it is productive or not.

#15 ·
Very informative posts. To answer earlier questions, the Left’s endgame is to change our entire culture and make us more like Europe. A bunch of elitists run all the governments over there and guns are for the most part banned. Heck in the UK they will even charge homeowners if they try to fight back against an intruder. It’s ridiculous. Self defense is a human right. The Left wants total control.

#20 ·
The 2nd amendment did not cover novelties, I don't think we lost much if anything. We should be worrying abut the 1st amendment as well. All you have to do is watch the news almost daily someone gets fired or set upon on social media for something they said that the left considers racist or sexist or hate speech. Free speech is becoming a thing of the past. Once the 2nd amendment goes by the boards they will all fall.

#35 ·
What is the definition of a "Novelty" ? I never owned a bump stock, nor shot one. My Choice, not the Govt's. This set a precedence that the Govt can ban firearm accessories. What about extended mag tubes for shotguns, or fiber optic sights, or Night vision scopes or composite stocks, or precision triggers, or detachable magazines, or, or, or.

As far as the 1st goes, it ONLY address Govt's suppression of speech, Not the Individual's.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances..

I think we should all be mindful of interpreting the amendments past what they literally read.

#21 ·
https://constitutioncenter.org/blog...d-supreme-court-rules-on-the-second-amendment

Just a quick read on the 2008 SCOTUS decision (5-4). Read the dissenting opinion. We had four Justices that believe as he did, that the second amendment is not an "Individual right", although every right in the "Bill of Rights" is individual.

Just ONE vote here would have changed everything, so don't ever get too complacent.

#22 ·
"Can Amendments Be Repealed?

Any existing constitutional amendment can be repealed but only by the ratification of another amendment. Because repealing amendments must be proposed and ratified by one of the same two methods of regular amendments, they are very rare."

Methods to ratify an amendment: Method 1: Congress Proposes an Amendment Method 2: The States Demand a Constitutional Convention.

Either way, this process is a long and complex issue. I post this to let everyone know that a person cannot just repeal an amendment with a snap of their fingers. I'll admit that i'm not sure how the Supreme Court would affect things if they ruled the amendment unconstitutional, but can they even do that?? Find a part of the constitutional "unconstitutional"??? Makes no sense.

We're hearing this whack job saying he's coming for our AR's. But i'm not convinced he'd be able to pull this off. BELIEVE me, I'm not being naive here. History has taught us that these things can happen. I just think it's much harder then appears. STILL, like you and others said, we need to stay vigilant, and make sure everyone you know is educated on this and go out and VOTE!

#23 ·
thats why Scotus appointments must have term limits, no one should serve for life. common pleas court judges cant. what makes these people so special ?

they can rule according to their beliefs and feelings and we get stuck with it, constitutionally correct or not. they can violate the constitution and bill of rights in their rulings and get away with it. what happened to the checks and balances ? never ever let your guard down...do your own research and vote every single time. our children and grandchildren depend on us to protect them and that means much more than carrying a gun or finances.....it means, in every way shape and form, including making sure that this Nation is run by sane, people serving constitutional abiding individuals.

#34 ·
BINGO.....being complacent and thinking others will vote against this or that. Thinking others will make enough calls or write letters and send e-mails to get the job done, is going to work against us. look what happens at election time...a lot of people think that we dont have to worry, that nitwit wont get elected and then they do because people didnt get out and vote.

if enough people sit back and think like that...the anti people will win every time. we have to fight back against these things like its a personal confrontation, an attack against our families, because it is. DONT BECOME COMPLACENT !!!! dont depend on others to fight your fight. united we stand, divided we fall.

#36 ·
i would take them as written and enforce them as such. trying to figure out what was on someones mind 200 plus years ago is a slippery slope. interpretation can mean many different things to different people. it is, what it says and thats it.

#46 ·
Elena Kagan told the Alaskan hunter in her brief Happy Hunting so she is not against hunting or using guns to hunt...Maybe her father hunted when she was a child and she grew up in a hunting family...Some girls decide not to hunt in a hunting family... And also some guys starting out to hunt and kill a deer and hang it up and decide it is not for them...It is their choice and they should not be disrespected for it...Sometime later in their life they may decide to get back in it...

#47 ·
Wow guys... The second amendment has never been about hunting. Hunting shouldn't even be brought into the second amendment discussion. The second amendment is about having the ability to protect ourselves, our families, our property and ultimately our nation and our freedom, even if it means protecting ourselves against our own government if it runs amok. Our government having some degree of fear of a well armed public is a good thing for our freedoms. When government loses fear of its citizens it will eventually abuse them. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

#48 ·
A Matter of Perspective:

lets ask our elected leaders to pass a law that says...any elected official that votes for or passes an unconstitutional law will be executed by public hanging for treason.

sounds harsh and threatening right ? actually its entirely harmless and wont result in anyone being executed unless.....they vote for or pass and unconstitutional law.

the only ones against it would be the ones wanting to violate the constitution. VOTE THEM OUT !!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.