Is a flintlock pistol legal as a self defense gun? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
I don't see how it can fall under the guidelines of license to carry firearms when in our state it ISN'T considered a firearm.

First time someone uses that argument to stir the pot or get attention my money says the anti gun people will leap on it and turn muzzle loaders into registered firearms.

We best leave this alone IMHO.
I agree with that assessment of the anti-everything crowd, and I was mainly curious if anyone knew since I do carry my .50cal flint pistol during muzzleloader after Xmas season. Being I have it anyway, why bring the regular carry gun only to leave it locked in the truck where it could possibly be stolen?

Thanks to Woodswalker for the as always spot on regulation information.

Thanks all.
bohunr and BCozhunter like this.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Well with an LTC, you'd be perfectly legal carrying your regular carry gun... just can't use it on anything with 4 legs at that time.. (centerfire during flintlock or muzzleloader, or action depenedent during rifle season)
If you want to take a flintlock pistol as the GPR backup and have thoughts of using it to take a deer, you're still covered with an LTC, or could also pickup a sportsmans firearms permit as well...

I'm a firm believer in carrying all the time. I have my edc pistols, but when it's woods time, I strap on the super blackhawk... whether I'm just working the property or hunting... good on anything with 2 or 4 legs..
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:30 PM

i dont understand why people leave guns in the car. things get stolen. i dont even leave mine in the car when its inside the garage thats attached to the house and the doors are alarmed.

leave it in the car, it deserves to be stolen.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Sage

I agree, not that the gun should be stolen but that the idiots are asking for it and their insurance should not pay for the loss! You have to be entirely stupid to leave a firearm in a vehicle unless you have a car safe inside hidden away. The same with purses, not a week goes by that there is not at least one purse stolen from a vehicle.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
Not for attention, just keeping the weight down, and not leaving the regular carry gun in the truck to get stolen. .50 flint pistol is a companion gun to the GPR during flintlock seaon.
Lot better pistols for that that probably weigh less than a 1 shot flint. I carry IWB and a lot of the times and have a couple I forget I even have them on (with right holster)

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_SP View Post
Lot better pistols for that that probably weigh less than a 1 shot flint. I carry IWB and a lot of the times and have a couple I forget I even have them on (with right holster)
I have three guns I use for regular everyday concealed carry, all of which hold very much alike, point so quickly I possibly could hit what I wanted without using the day/night sights. I also practice often with all three, and shoot a little falling plate competition as well. Are those three better suited to SD carry? Of course.
Do I want to carry a third gun during the late season flintlock season, or lock it in the truck, or simply leave it at home in the gun safe where its less likely stolen? Turns out its just a personal choice, entirely lawful, and thats all I was hoping to learn.

Maybe I should have gone a little more into detail as to the why, since as it was asked earlier in the thread, "why would anyone want to?" I think everyone was great with the posts, and I hope you enjoyed it as well....I really did learn. Thanks again.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
The title kind of says it . No reguation on black powder arms in the Commonwealth, and rightly so, but does anyone have any idea if carrying a flintlock or caplock muzzleloading handgun would be acceptable under the "License to Carry Firearms"?

Flintlock hunter, I pasted an applicable statute below from the Uniform Firearms Act. In answer to your question, yes you can carry a flintlock or caplock muzzleloading handgun under a license to carry. Put another way, you need a license to carry to carry a muzzy handgun concealed on your person or in a vehicle. Hope this helps!

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6118
(a) General rule.--This subchapter shall not apply to antique firearms.

(b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to the extent that such antique firearms, reproductions or replicas of firearms are concealed weapons as provided in section 6106 (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license), nor shall it apply to the provisions of section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) if such antique firearms, reproductions or replicas of firearms are suitable for use.

(c) Definition.--As used in this section, the term “antique firearm” means:

(1) Any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock or percussion cap type of ignition system.

(2) Any firearm manufactured on or before 1898.

(3) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (2) if such replica:

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition; or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numicice View Post
Flintlock hunter, I pasted an applicable statute below from the Uniform Firearms Act. In answer to your question, yes you can carry a flintlock or caplock muzzleloading handgun under a license to carry. Put another way, you need a license to carry to carry a muzzy handgun concealed on your person or in a vehicle. Hope this helps!

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6118
(a) General rule.--This subchapter shall not apply to antique firearms.

(b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to the extent that such antique firearms, reproductions or replicas of firearms are concealed weapons as provided in section 6106 (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license), nor shall it apply to the provisions of section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) if such antique firearms, reproductions or replicas of firearms are suitable for use.

(c) Definition.--As used in this section, the term “antique firearm” means:

(1) Any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock or percussion cap type of ignition system.

(2) Any firearm manufactured on or before 1898.

(3) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (2) if such replica:

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition; or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
That really does clear it up. I dont believe anyone would feel that a "primitive" type of firearm would be the best choice for a self defense situation, just as several posted here, and I wholeheartetly agree. The answer to the question is only important to those interested in doing everything possible to stop the theft of a gun.... which just may mean anyone who carries legally, and likes having a traditional companion gun along during the after Xmas flintlock season. To me, making that sacrifice in the interest of legally carrying what I will be hunting with,while preventing a serious theft is worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to look this up for all interested.
bohunr likes this.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.
"Me very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
Shoots as fast as lightnin' but it loads a might slow
It loads a might slow, and soon I found out
It'll get you into trouble but it can't get you out"

Steve Earle
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

some years ago I bought a 1860 colt army .44 repo from a friend who got it when his father died 8-9 years before(stored in a box in the celler) and it was fully loaded for at least that long. I put new caps on it and it fired all six loads on the first try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page