Concealed Carry Question? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Yes he showed me his badge and gave me his name, then proceeded to question me. I didn't want to start any trouble as I wasn't sure about my pistol printing on my clothes. But now that I know it'll be different next time. I more or less chalked it up to the officer was having a bad day and needed somebody to badger some.
In my opinion, anyone who carries a firearm for personal protection has an obligation to know the laws applicable to carrying a firearm concealed, or openly. Not knowing the laws, can get you into situations as experienced by Waynzee, and can give over zealous LEOs the opportunity to ruin your day.

This comment is not directed specifically to you Waynzee, and is not meant to criticize your decision to conform to the cop's directive. In almost all cases, you are better off not challenging a cop ... if their behavior is way over the limit, challenge them via their department, or the courts.
bohunr, Waynzee and Woods walker like this.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Yes he showed me his badge and gave me his name, then proceeded to question me. I didn't want to start any trouble as I wasn't sure about my pistol printing on my clothes. But now that I know it'll be different next time. I more or less chalked it up to the officer was having a bad day and needed somebody to badger some.

he also could have just been cautious. i know i am suspicious of anyone i see carrying. open or concealed, i pay a little more attention to the person if i notice it.

same thing if i notice a knife clipped to the pocket.
Waynzee likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:06 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
he also could have just been cautious. i know i am suspicious of anyone i see carrying. open or concealed, i pay a little more attention to the person if i notice it.

same thing if i notice a knife clipped to the pocket.
While I don't disagree, you will really look at my sideways if we ever meet. But maybe not just because of the knife and pistol.... lol
bohunr and Waynzee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

I carry anywhere I go in the Commonwealth, and where they are uncomfortable with me carrying, I am uncomfortable spending my money.

I do, however, make it a habit to declare to an officer that I am legally carrying a firearm for reasons of showing respect to the badge, and not wanting to surprise anyone in our present day paranoia. And yes, I know the law does not require it, just think it could be wiser.
bohunr, Waynzee and Woods walker like this.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:36 AM

i have been checked various times while on my way home from hunting, going over the speed limit, lights out over my license plate and sitting in a parking lot planning where to go predator hunting next. this was around 2 am, in a business parking lot.

every single time...i roll down the windows, turn on the dome light, leave my hands in plain view on the steering wheel, and before i make any move at all...i always, always let the officer know that i have guns in the car and one on me.

this goes a long way to easing any tension the officer may have. he doesnt know who i am, or what i may have done, or been doing. i know i am not a threat to the officer but they dont know that. that are not suppose to assume i will not hurt them. they are not suppose to assume everyone is their friend. attitudes like that get officers hurt or killed.

AND... after every encounter, we have had conversations about hunting, especially predator hunting and the gear i am using and i get a warning instead of a ticket.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
i have been checked various times while on my way home from hunting, going over the speed limit, lights out over my license plate and sitting in a parking lot planning where to go predator hunting next. this was around 2 am, in a business parking lot.

every single time...i roll down the windows, turn on the dome light, leave my hands in plain view on the steering wheel, and before i make any move at all...i always, always let the officer know that i have guns in the car and one on me.
Exactly right!
bohunr likes this.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page