S&W M&P Sport - Lower & Upper Receivers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

S&W M&P Sport - Lower & Upper Receivers

Was looking at buying my first AR. The M&P "Sport" model fits my budget right now, read reviews, etc... They seem to be a decent American made "Entry Level" AR from what I can tell. I had (3) - S&W AR's in my hand today at Gander Mnt, none of which were the Sport model, but what I noticed is that 2 out of 3 S&W AR's upper and lower receivers had a slight "wobble" to them. They just didn't fit tight like some of the other manufactures did on the shelf (i.e. Stag and DPMS)

I realize you get what you pay for in this world, but is this just a "tolerance" issue that S&W has with this entry level AR or is there is some sort of adjustment can be done to "tighten" up the wobble?

Maybe I should be steering away from S&W altogether??

I'd like to hear your opinions and comments. Hopefully headed to the Gun Show this Saturday here in York and looking to buy an AR.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: S&W M&P Sport - Lower & Upper Receivers

S&W puts a great AR together. A little wobble would not keep me from buying. It can be fixed with an Acuwedge, if so inclined.

Also, you should at least look at what Palmetto State Armory has to offer. You can buy the parts and put it together yourself or buy a completed rifle.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have an S&W M&P and I can assure you that mine does not 'wobble' anywhere. Maybe the pistol grip was loose and that is what was wobbling. Either way, I would buy another S&W M&P tomorrow if I could get it for the right $.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

There are a pile of M&P15's out there and everybody I know who has one is perfectly happy with theirs. Except one. His definitely seems to have some tolerance issues. I'm sure it's a fluke, but if I was him you can bet your butt I'd have sent it back.
However, like RobOz said, a little play between receivers is nothing to worry about. If it bothers you an Accuwedge is like $5.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOz
S&W puts a great AR together. A little wobble would not keep me from buying. It can be fixed with an Acuwedge, if so inclined.

Also, you should at least look at what Palmetto State Armory has to offer. You can buy the parts and put it together yourself or buy a completed rifle.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/
Thanks. I was looking last night at those PSA's last night. Pretty sweet. I like the Anderson lowers, too.

Couldn't find any assembled AR's onnthere ... ALL "Out of Stock". :&lt;(

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 PM
The Man

I just purchased a S&W M&P15OR. I have noticed that the front hand grip had a little wobble, is that what your feeling? Either way, I have been installing all kinds of Magpul accessories, the front new grip is solid now. Another possibility could be that the pins you pull out to remove upper from lower might need to be pushed in further. I noticed this when re-installing them.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page