Rem 581 refinish ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Rem 581 refinish ?

I have an ole Rem 581 and would like to put a gloss finish on the stock. Would spray poly be good or some other kind of finish? What do you guys recommend here? Thanks....JRM404
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:31 PM
The Man

Re: Rem 581 refinish ?

OMG Dont do it! Why would you do that?

if you really want to refinish, hand rubbed oil, like tru-oil. Multiple coats.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Will tru-oil put a nice glossy slick sheen on my stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

True oil will do a good job, but you must prepare the wood, then put on multiple coats allow it to dry in between and rubb with 4 ought steel wool wipe down and continue all over again till you get the finish you want. You can also rotten stone it after you get a good finish to really set it of. This is a true oil finish.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 PM
The Man

Go ahead..Refinish it...The 581 isn't gonna become a collectors item in your lifetime!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Might just trade it for a like new 541T I found.....JRM404
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

By all means, do it.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

There are several good videos on you tube on refinishing a rifle stock. I have done several rifles with Birch wood Casey tru-oil if you take your time and follow the directions it doses a beautiful job. I just did a Savage I bought off a forum member on here. I striped the stock, lifted some minor dings with heat and a damp cloth, I then stained it with a light walnut. I finished it off with fifteen coats of the Tru-oil. It came out beautiful.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM

I've been using formbys high gloss tung oil finish..while not 100% pure tung oil it works well and dries faster...

I prep the wood..then thin the finish 3-1 or 4-1 mineral spirits to finish...I soak a heavy coat in..next day a 2nd..that's the entire stock..thinning it gets the oil to penetrate better..and dries faster..

Then I start coating it...thin coats rubbed by hand..let dry a day..0000 steel wool works..I've also been wet sanding between coats..more work but I like the results..

Continue till pores are filled..then like John said pumice and rotten stone will polish the finish to the highest gloss and remove "wet" looking spots and imperfections etc..then wax it..

I tried truoil and just couldn't get it to look right..don't know why...many guys love it...

I haven't had the tung oil finish outside yet but it seems really tough and water resistant...it is a lot of work...but I enjoy it..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Sage

Hate the Birchwood Casey finish. Way to glossy and it chips and mars easily. I stripped off the finish I applied to one rifle the same summer i applied it.

I use tung oil as a base layer x 3 coats. Let it dry up several days between coats. Then use 0000 steel wool and go over it well. Make sure to remove all dust and particals before applying another coat.

After the last coat of tung oil - let it set for a full week or longer (after final sanding with 0000).

Get a can of spray on Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. Pick your poison - gloss or semi gloss. Follow the application directions closely!!!

Build up multiple coats and do the steel wool (0000) between aplications. I applied about four or five coats.

After final steel wool buff - get a old nylon stocking. Cut a wide strip of it without any seams. Buff the finish with the intent on "warming" a section. No need to go caveman - your just buffing it up.

You know have a fully waterproof stock that the woods natural bueaty shows through. The finish is also tough as nails.

Most important - remove all the old finish. Then make sure that the stock is baby hiney smooth!!!!!!! Look up the many video's for wood stock pre finish prep. Follow them!

If you want to stain the stock - do it before applying any other finish.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page