I still dont understand????? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I still dont understand?????

I still don't understand the shortage of bullets, primers, and powder ???????.. I don't buy the B.S. that everyone is stocking up and hoarding... Ya, people are stocking up, but that alone isn't the reason we have a shortage... Please explain.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: I still dont understand?????

The FEDS are stocking up in the 100s of millions and the ammo manufacturers have to fill their orders first reason being national security...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I haven't had a hard time finding components lately. Just a quick look shows Cabelas has a lot of different primers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

So all the USA. manufactures, that make ammo, have reduced production of all cals. except the 223,,, and after a full year of all out production from these companies, making 223, they haven't caught up??? Shotgun shells,,black powder,,primers, bullet tips.. ?????????
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Part of the Community

keep in mind that the last lead mine and smelting plant in the USA HAS SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY DUE TO STRINGENT EPA REGULATIONS
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmie
keep in mind that the last lead mine and smelting plant in the USA HAS SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY DUE TO STRINGENT EPA REGULATIONS
X2. This is one of the biggest issues.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A little info.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ffect-ammunit/

Gun owners can rest easy about one aspect of President Obama’s agenda. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) decision to close the country’s last remaining lead smelter will not cause further ammunition shortages or higher costs.

Lawrence Keane is the senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), which represents the ammunitions and firearms industry.

“Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don’t buy from smelters,” Mr. Keane told me Monday. “The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.”

A primary smelter is like a coal mine — it takes the lead out of the ground and turns it into a usable product. The more than 100-year-old Doe Run Lead Smelter is closing its Herculaneum plant at the end of the year to comply with air-quality standards set by the EPA.

American ammunition manufacturers use lead that has been recycled from a variety of everyday products, like car batteries and tire weights.

Ammunition supply has been at historic lows over the last year. This has led some to believe Internet conspiracy theories blaming Mr. Obama, such as the Department of Homeland Security buying up the civilian supply.

In fact, supply is low simply because demand was off the charts in the year leading up to Mr. Obama’s re-election. After the president announced his gun-control agenda following the Newtown tragedy last December, demand rose for the already-low supply, which led to empty shelves.

Heavy demand continues today because of gun owners’ legitimate fears of additional federal and state restrictions on their Second Amendment rights.

The major manufacturers have been trying to backfill the supply by running the plants with 24/7 with three shifts in 2013, according to the NSSF.

However, gun owners should be genuinely concerned about ammunition costs skyrocketing due to the law recently signed by California Gov. Jerry Brown that bans lead ammo for hunting in the state.

The Golden State is always leading the country in inventing absurd gun-control laws based on junk science. This new statute is based on two bogus claims: that lead ammunition kills off wildlife populations and that people can get sick from eating game shot with lead ammo.

“Banning traditional ammunition will result in an unprecedented constriction of supply and massive price increases,” Mr. Keane of the NSSF said of the California law. “Large numbers of hunters will be driven out of the field and target shooters off the firing line.”

Make no mistake, Mr. Obama and his gun-grabbing cohorts around the country want to infringe on the Second Amendment whenever possible. However, in the case of the lead smelter closing, gun owners ought not to be up in arms.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

WOW,, Did anyone read the first paragraph??
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I read the whole thing. What are you getting at?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76er
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmie
X2. This is one of the biggest issues.
That's not entirely true, I spoke with one of the bullet makers I deal with and asked him what effect the smelting plant closing would have on availability, He said next to none. Swampy told me what percentage they contributed, I don't remember for sure so I won't say exactly but I do remember it was less than 10% His biggest issue is getting copper jackets, J-4 jackets are the best and they are made by Berger Bullets, Berger is ramping up their production again, Big Time. That's going to make jackets that much harder for the small time custom bullet makers.

Powder is becoming much easier to find, Bullets are still very difficult but there is light at the end of the tunnel, I haven't been able to find Federal Match primers in well over a year, No way will I pay $6 a hundred on any primer like Cabelas is getting, and I'm pretty sure they don't have federals, some of the others may becoming a little easier to find but not much.

Hoarding must have something to do with it, I can't imagine the government is buying all the bullets from every source in the country, let alone all the different types of powder. Look at the really hard to get powders and bullets, anything 223, handgun related, or Benchrest related, those were the first items off the shelf and are the last that are being re-stocked. That's because when they become available the guys that didn't hoard are buying it all up so they don't find themselves searching for components. I'm guilty to a certain extent, I don't have enough to last a lifetime which I think is nuts, but I have enough for 2 years and I shoot a lot.

Think its bad now? Just wait, if Hillary gets in you won't find anything gun related on the shelves. I would like to think that is impossible, but I never would have guessed the Jack (Censored) we have in there now would have been re-elected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page