Who's still on top of their game in 2014? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Who's still on top of their game in 2014?

I was thinking about something lately. Never before have hunters and shooters had so many options as far as firearms go. You can't even walk into a gun shop nowadays and narrow the next purchase down to one choice.......it's probably 3 or 4. BUT, it occurred to me that a lot more opinions are floating around than ever before as well. It seems some gun manufacturers may be slipping on quality control and innovation, while others are just as good if not better than they've been in past years or decades. I think this is an interesting and maybe somewhat important topic that I haven't seen discussed in any depth. Sure, there are a few comments and opinions thrown around like I said, but without any real basis for those comments other than just being a fanboy of a certain make. But that's OK because everyone has their favorites for good reasons, just elaborate why. I want to know what everyone likes and really dislike nowadays? For the older fellas, have you noticed changes from your 30+ year old model to the identical new models of a given make? Recent purchases that you're really happy with? Recent purchases that you wish you didn't make? So, who in your opinion is still churning out really nice weapons and who do you wish would pick up their slack a little bit more? This isn't meant to bash any manufacturer whatsoever, but the quality of a gun shouldn't be compromised past a certain extent. And I'm not necessarily talking about the custom jobs that may run a hunter $1,500+ for a rig, nor am I talking about the Saturday night specials where a 9mm or .45 can be bought for $150. I'm looking for posts about the run of the mill factory production rifles, shotguns, semi-auto handguns, revolvers, and muzzleloaders that the average Joe hunter/shooter goes for.

I myself have various rifles, shotguns, and handguns made by Savage, Ruger, Remington, Thompson/Center, Marlin, and Winchester. I'm overall pleased with all of them. Yet, some I think are made with higher quality than the others. Some are new and some are old

Again, not bashing ANY manufacturer out there. The only point of this post is to rant about who you think is doing well and who is struggling. DOMESTIC OR FOREIGN MANUFACTURERS....

Hunters and Fisherman = The REAL environmentalists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who's still on top of their game in 2014?

Well this thread will open a can of worms. I'm a Winchester guy, old vs new? Haven 't and won't buy one post Winchesters sale. The new stuff is probably fine but just can't bring myself to buy one. Seemed to find myself a fan of Remington's since but I'll tell ya, it's hard to ignore the fact that savage is putting out one of the most accurate guns out there. Calibers associated with benchrest, twist rates suited for the long match bullets and stock configurations. They lack a little in appearance but even that is changing.

On the higher end I think Cooper has the whole package.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm mostly into rifles and i think most of the big name mast production rifle manufactuers are always look for ways to keep the price of their products down. As a result they produce a product that isn't up to the standards we older guys are accustomed to.
Look at remingtons older model 700 safety issue... The man who designed the 700 saw the need for change and it would of cost big green 58 cents a piece more to produce it.58 cents each to make a safer weapon... The idea was dismissed! That said... I'm a remington guy and don't see that changing, but as of late the Kimber montana and the rifles Melvin forbes makes have been coming to me in my sleep...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 03:27 PM
The Man

Not a lot of the new stuff excites me. I much prefer a blued/walnut gun to all the new fangled synthetics and such. I find myself looking more for older M70's, old H&R Ultra Rifles, Belgium Brownings, Rem 721/722's, Savage 99's, etc... Great rifles that can still be had for a decent buck. The prices of some of todays guns floor me!!

I still like what Ruger is putting out. I often see people complaining of lack of accuracy in Rugers But I'll be honest, I haven't experienced it? In actuality the most accurate production CF I've ever shot was on older Tang safety 77 in 220 Swift. Nothing fancy about the Rugers but I do like their offerings.

I'm also impressed with what Tikka is offering. extremely good out of the box accuracy. Now if I could only find one in 6.5 x 55!!

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I really don't know much about what is going on with the manufacturing of the present day rifles and shotguns. It seems like you hear so many different opinions about almsot all of them. However, when purshasing a new firearm, I am much more likely to spend more money on a brand that has consistently had a good reputation. Most recenetly, I have been hooked on Beretta/Sako/ Tikka.

For those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

My old Remington 700 (70s or 80s) has treated me really well, a buddy of mine has a Rem 770 (maybe 5 years old) that is fairly well put together for the price. My Mossberg 500 has treated me really well for the last 13 years. I am a walnut and blue guy, but I must say I have yet to shoot a newer Savage that I haven't been impressed with. Rugers new stuff seems well put together, I would have to say that if I were to buy a brand new rifle I would have to go with either a Savage or the Ruger. Looking towards the economic end I think you are better off buying something used than to jump in with a brand new low end rifle. The only exception I may have to that general rule would probably be the Marlin Xls but I need to play around with them a little more. IMO used I would stick with Rem, Win and Marlin's lever guns. New as I stated it would be hard to beat a Savage these days, that Accu trigger is really nice, with the Ruger being my second choice.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 AM
Regular Visitor

I wanted to put together a nice .308 precision rifle 2 years ago. Had my heart dead set on a Remington 700 platform, was going to buy a nice 700 and trick it out with a new chassis and everything imaginable, up to about a $3-4k budget.

I walked into the shop and picked up a Tikka T3 Scout CTR, and for the $950 price tag(they stopped importing them for a while, they've since popped up in batches for a few 100$ cheaper) nothing Remington offered could even come close to the Tikka's feeling of quality and usability.

I walked out with the Tikka, and man is it a great gun. Slapped a nice scope and rings on it, along with a Harris bipod, adjusted the trigger a bit, and it's a 1/4 MOA gun. I still haven't upgraded the chassis on it, but it will eventually get one, more for ergonomics than for accuracy. The Stock it came in is not bad for what it is, free floated, bipod attachment point, etc.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONZy
Not a lot of the new stuff excites me. I much prefer a blued/walnut gun to all the new fangled synthetics and such. I find myself looking more for older M70's, old H&R Ultra Rifles, Belgium Brownings, Rem 721/722's, Savage 99's, etc... Great rifles that can still be had for a decent buck. The prices of some of todays guns floor me!!

I still like what Ruger is putting out. I often see people complaining of lack of accuracy in Rugers But I'll be honest, I haven't experienced it? In actuality the most accurate production CF I've ever shot was on older Tang safety 77 in 220 Swift. Nothing fancy about the Rugers but I do like their offerings.

I'm also impressed with what Tikka is offering. extremely good out of the box accuracy. Now if I could only find one in 6.5 x 55!!
Pretty much spot on with my thinking. Wouldn't mind trying out either a T3 or an American. Heard good things about the Kimber Montana as well. Those old Model 70's, Remingtons, and 99's keep calling my name though.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:29 PM

I haven't bought a brand new firearm since 1991 when I bought my Rem 700 .270 Mountain Rifle, a Benelli SBE (H&K import) and a Marlin 25M .22 mag in the same year (23 years old, full time job and single. AKA "The good old days") I've bought three used centerfire rifles since then, two pre 64 mod 70's (standard .270 and featherweight .30/06 both bought at a steal)and a Marlin guide gun in .45/70. While I do like a nice rifle, I'm more of a shotgun guy.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

In the last few years, I have bought two new Rem. 700s. One was a Sportsman LSS in 30-06, and the other is a 270 BDL Deluxe. I am very happy with both, as I do not have experience with the older 700s. I will say that the bluing on the newer Rem. doesn't look as nice as the bluing on the older 760s that I have, but that is not to say that it wont be durable. I guess time will tell on that. I have been pretty impressed with the what I have seen and heard about the Savage line as well.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page