The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Benelli SuperNova Problem

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Smtn10pt 
#1 ·
I had purchased a 12 gauge Benelli Supernova about 3 years ago and have been using it for waterfowl, turkey, and smallgame hunting.

This season I've been having some problems with the gun releasing another shell from the tube to go into the receiver and into the chamber. Whenever I cock the action, it won't produce another shell, unless I cock the gun very hard. Not sure what the problem is...

Is this something that I could fix myself or do I need to take it to a gunsmith?

Any help will be appreciated!

#2 ·
I'd start with a field strip and deep clean. Take the trigger assembly out, take note of the hammer spring assembly, a build up of gunk could be causing your bolt to "hang up". After that's done, remove the bolt and deep clean the reciever and bolt assembly. Last, do a riteous scrubbing on the buffer and spring assembly. If the problem isn't solved with that, take it to a smithy. The Nova line has a bit of a temper if they get real dirty.

#5 ·
To help you out, the problem is that the bolt isn't traveling far enough to the rear to release another shell from the tube. If you're familiar with the shotguns innards, go through all the parts that the bolt manipulates. If its gas operated, check the gas tube for blockage. If its recoil operated, check all parts the bolt manipulates. The spring that operates the hammer for build up, the bolt housing and in the body where the bolt moves. The mechanism that returns the bolt home. Check the relief where the tube release is, maybe there's build up causing restricted movement. I fixed a couple 1100 Remingtons with the same problem. I know they aren't identical, but the core function is. If all the build up is removed and you can't find any bent/worn parts take it to the smithy

#6 ·
Ken S. said:
To help you out, the problem is that the bolt isn't traveling far enough to the rear to release another shell from the tube. If you're familiar with the shotguns innards, go through all the parts that the bolt manipulates. If its gas operated, check the gas tube for blockage. If its recoil operated, check all parts the bolt manipulates. The spring that operates the hammer for build up, the bolt housing and in the body where the bolt moves. The mechanism that returns the bolt home. Check the relief where the tube release is, maybe there's build up causing restricted movement. I fixed a couple 1100 Remingtons with the same problem. I know they aren't identical, but the core function is. If all the build up is removed and you can't find any bent/worn parts take it to the smithy
His gun is a pump not an auto so that would not apply here.

I never messed with any of the novas so I don't know exactly how they are set up but on most pumps you have a shell catch at the end of the mag tube that when the action opens gets compressed allowing a shell to pop out. They can get gummed up or bent and not function all that well. Pulling the action apart and cleaning everything up may help but I would check out that shell catch and make sure it is held in place properly (some guns have them on a pin and they can pop off) and that it isn't bent. Like I said I'm not familiar with the nova so I don't know what type of catch they used in them but that is the first thing I'd check.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.