Terminology - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Terminology

Spend enough time on the Internet and you'll see terminology used incorrectly. Two examples are; cartridge vs. caliber and magazine vs. clip. Do those, or other, misnomers bother you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Terminology

If somebody wants to call their magazine a clip it doesn't bother me at all. I know what they are talking about.
The only thing that irritates me is when people refer to all firearms as "weapons".

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 AM
The Man

bullet is my pet peeve......

You know, the guy that says I only had 6 bullets left in my box, instead of cartridges or shells.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

kind of depends on what it is though. I agree with buckshot bullet bugs me and so does assault rifle or weapon. It isn't a weapon it is a tool.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:10 AM
The Man

When I was in the service they called the firearm a weapon.If the services label it that then it,s good enough for me.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdchuckhuntr
Do those, or other, misnomers bother you?
It doesn't bother me, but why do some refer to their firearms as "The old girl", "She" and "My baby"?

All my firearms to the best of my knowledge are gender neutral, none of them poop in diapers and the only old girl around this place is usually glued to the TV watching QVC with a telephone in one hand and a credit card in the other!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
When I was in the service they called the firearm a weapon.If the services label it that then it,s good enough for me.
Weapon- noun- 1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

In the military a firearm is a weapon. In the woods it's not. Unless, of course you consider yourself to be at war with deer and squirrels.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 AM
The Man

Weapon is a turn off for me when applied to sporting arms for the reason stated above....

Boolits is another attempt at a cute form of expression that I find curious...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

Funny how some terms get under one persons skin yet another something else.

Weapon is one of the terms that donít bother me. Growing up in a Military Family and serving myself over 45 years ago weapon was a very common term most of my life.

Magazine vs. clip these terms used improperly can be aggravating and confusing. Most all Military Rifles and civilian variants of Military rifles use a clip along with a magazine to aid in loading the magazine detectable or fixed box. I do not believe I have ever seen a clip for a pistol magazine.

Pistol vs revolver. This one I have only seen used wrong a couple times on the forums, however I have read post where guys get up set should someone refer to a revolver as a wheel gun.

Another that can be confusing is Cartridge vs. caliber. A Cartridge is one complete round of ammunition. Caliber is the diameter of the bullet used or rifle bore diameter. A .308 bullet can be loaded into 3030, 308, 30.06, or 300 brass. However none of these completed Cartridges are interchangeable all have a bore diameter of .308. I believe when talking about rifles the term chamber as in the Rifle is chambered in 30.06 as opposed to 30.06 caliber. The 30.06 shoot a .308 caliber or diameter bullet.

Another term some on the forums get very upset over is LTCF vs, CWP. As most of us know PA is a License to carry a firearm state and it is not a concealed weapon permit. Which some States do issue CWP just not PA. .

The one that truly annoys me and I donít know why is the term tip I reload and that may have something to do with it. However a Complete round of ammo consist of a bullet or projectile, a case or brass, powder or load, and a primer, no where in my 40 plus years of reloading have I read the term tip in any of my reloading manuals , I also never heard the term tip in the Military, It was Bullet or Projectile
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hornady- here are a couple "revolver clips". 45 acp half moon clips. Cutting edge 1917 technology.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page