What's going on with the lack of .22 ammo? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

What's going on with the lack of .22 ammo?

I know this isn't something new but when the heck is the supply of .22 ammo ever going to increase? It seems like the other popular hand gun ammo supplies are better than they were this time last year but the complete lack of .22 ammo and the way prices are jumping is sickening. Just my rant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Re: What's going on with the lack of .22 ammo?

Here, there's guys that have guys with apps on their smartphones telling them what ammo is on the Walmart truck before it even gets to the store. They know when and where it'll be delivered and are waiting at the store before the truck gets there. Then they buy all they can, even if they don't need it. I know one such individual. He said to me the other day "I have 100,000 rounds of 22 stocked up now". He's retired (=older). I asked "what the heck are you going to do with it?" His response..."I don't know, but I HAVE it!"

So what? Thanks a lot for hoarding it bud.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess the guy that dies with the most .22s WINS LOL!

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 PM

Besides people hording ammo now their are other factors. My brother and I had a similair conversation about this. We did usually have some ammo on tap at home. If we went out for a day of shooting we'd pick some up on the way to the range. Now more people stock up and buy more at one time and have it on hand always.
If you look up how much 22 was being produced it was would never support a larger market. Not that people did always buy a lot of 22 and people didn't shoot a lot of 22. Now that everybody is out hunting for it and when they find it they horde it the amount being produced would never support this demand. Their was a thread on the actual number of 22 being produced currently and the demand. It's no wonder they can't keep up.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM

People are buying all they can because they are made of lead, the lead plants our shut down. The new tin with a jacket 22lr shells are running about 20 cents per bullet that's why people are buying them up.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 PM

a local store near me finally has it in stock ,,first time in over a year ,, another local gunshop has lots of it
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut
Here, there's guys that have guys with apps on their smartphones telling them what ammo is on the Walmart truck before it even gets to the store. They know when and where it'll be delivered and are waiting at the store before the truck gets there.
Really!?!? I just tried searching for such an app and came up with nothing. Have you seen this?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 PM

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:19 PM

There was an extreme ammo shortage back in the latter 1940's, People were actually demanding a congressional investigation. An article about the shortage in the American Rifleman explained that though the ammo companies were churning it out, hunters were hoarding what stocks they could find creating the shortage. The NRA advised buying only what was needed and leaving some on the shelf for others.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It also has to do with the amount of new shooters that are taking up the shooting sports.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page