The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

scopes for Mosins

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  hunterx 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried or use any of the accessory mounting kits and scopes for any of the Mosins?
If so are they worth it? I have been looking at scopes and wondering if they are worth it.

#3 ·
i had a mosin that someone drilled and taped the receiver, it looked like crap and it didnt do much for the value of the gun when i traded it in. as a matter of fact it is still sitting at the gun shop.

i know a somebody makes a bolt on mounting kit i think it might have been on cheaper than dirt. but they look alot nicer. If you get shotgun news i know there are some places that have the sniper kit, but then your talkin $$$$$$. to me the worst thing you can do to a collectable gun is put stuff on it half azzed. hope i was able to help out a little.

#5 ·
I doubt the Mosin will ever be collecable (unless some limited mil version), just too many made.

You are stuck with the scout mount (on the rear sight base) because the bolt is a 90 degree model and will not claer any scope on the receiver.

Scout mount with a red dot makes a nice setup. Not a target rifle but a good hunter.

#7 ·
+1 for the Darrell scout-mount. A fella I know put one on his M39 Finn M/N and it has been solid. I've tried the "no-name" cheaper brands on my M44, and they sucked. I finally Acra-glassed one to the rear sight block, and that got it to hold. (I did some foolish things to surplus guns in my younger years that I regret now...)

I have heard good about S&K, made here in PA. They make a scout-mount style that has a weaver rail, or uses their proprietary ring system; you choose.

My one pet-peeve with the scout mounts out there is that the scope is set quite high on some, and I think a higher comb to the stock would help. The Darrel mount seems lowest to me.

FWIW, the scout scope marketplace has some really cheap models, then jumps to the Burris/Leupy fodder at $250 +. As it is, I scoped my M/N44 with an NcStar 2.5x, and it has worked quite well. Cost was about $50.00

Typical 5-shot 100yd. groups from my setup result in an average of 2.75" with WOLF 200grain SPs. Not great, but good enough to take a few deer with.

#8 ·
The top pic is a S&K scout mount , made in Pa. Rock solid , if not a little $$$ for the mosin.
The 2nd pic is an ATI mount kit ,"tip" use a drill press not a hand drill , never a problem with it either.
I wouldn't give you a nickel for the B-square mount.
The ATI mount makes it hard to use the safety , these are old pics , but at a later date I welded a ring onto the back of the safety knob "not shown in this pic" making it much more useable.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.