TAC/Hunter 338 Lapua Complete - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

TAC/Hunter 338 Lapua Complete

Finally, I picked up my new toy!!! Hitting the range tomorrow to throw a few down range... Can't wait to build a load for this rig! Anyone that has any favorites such as bullets, powders, etc. for this platform I'm all ears... Right now I have 250gr Accubonds, 300gr SMK's, and 250 gr. Game Kings. I will be shooting at 600 yds + so prob the 300gr is going to be the bullet weight but for hunting the 250gr Accubond is going to be the selection... H1000, Retumbo, and IMR powders are my first choice. All Lapua brass, and cci 250 primers, but will have to just work up some loads to shoot and see whats what. For the first five shoot and cleans and initial barrel break in we shot Remington factory loads with 250gr. Scenars. No other reason other than that was the only factory load I found using Lapua Brass and only because I wanted more brass.. They were sub MOA at 100yds but probably not going to be what I want at some distance. [img:left][/img] [img:left][/img] [img:right][/img]

It only takes one, the right one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM
The Man

Re: TAC/Hunter 338 Lapua Complete

Curious, does that Swarovski have the ballistic turret? Why not use the 300 grain Berger bullets...if 600+ yards is what you're after then the Berger's with their incredibly high BC would be a great choice for retaining velocity and energy. Nice looking rig though!

Mac
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hey, mackgee... Yes, its the Z6i 5X30X50 Ballistic Turret with the 4w ret. Not the most Ideal long range tac scope but for hunting its the best choice in my eyes hands down. As you know at this point Swaro is focused on hunting, but I'm sure they are developing a long range model to meet the growing number of distance shooters, ie windage turret, and more elevation adj for those 1,000yd plus ranges.

I knew you would have some advice. Yes Berger is definitely on the list as I shoot them out of the 300 win mag. Although, with the short neck on the 300 its hard to seat them out far enough in my particular rifle. However, I think they have changed the Ogive design on their latest bullets to compensate for those issues?

Thanks for the earlier recommendations and I'm glad I went with the McMillan A5 stock as its very comfortable. Anyway, I will keep you posted on the development and if I have any questions I hope I can bother you for some more advice. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 PM
The Man

Certainly Swarovski does make some of the best glass you can get, but not having the windage adjustment is going to be rough….When shooting long range windage is a huge factor and almost can't be avoided.

Berger does have a hunting classic style bullet now that would work great in your .300. The .338 shouldn't have that same problem and the 300 grain Berger would really give you the most aerodynamic advantage with that caliber.

The .338 300 grain Berger has a G1 BC of .818 while the 250 grain Accubond has a G1 BC of .575. For the distances that you want to shoot with the gun and hunt with it you would be way better off with the Berger. Here's an example using obtainable load data (I'm not a fan of inflating velocities until you find that your gun can take it):

The 300 grain Berger can be pushed to about 2675 fps which gives you a 600 yard velocity of 2064 fps and energy of 2838 ft. lbs. At 1000 yards you are still going at 1711 fps and have 1950 ft. lbs. of energy.

The 250 grain Accubond that you mentioned earlier can be run at about 2900 fps and has a 600 yard velocity of 2007 fps with an energy of 2236 ft. lbs. At 1000 yards you really drop off compared to the Berger, you have a velocity of 1528 fps and an energy of 1296 ft. lbs.

So you can see that having the much more aerodynamic bullet, while slower, gives you so much more performance at long range.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Is the throat (and twist) setup for the higher SD/BC bullets?

WMU 3A
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 PM
The Man

Good question…you do need a 1 in 10" twist for the Berger 300 grainers…

Mac
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's a beaut, Zack!

For those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles..
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks Mackgee, the scope does have the 2 MOA hash marks on the horizontal ret line. I know its not ideal but Im a field tech for Swarovski so tht was the best fit for me. I do believe that Swaro is developing a long range scope that has the necessities, but I have no concrete facts of such a product just assumption. I can adj windage with the turret but its not the ideal setup.

I did see the new Berger 30 cal bullets annd I am excited about those. I emailed Berger a lot as I built a load for the 300 and Ihave to say that I was thoutoughly impressed with the prompt rand informative responses from Walt Berger!!! I will be testing those out as I wanted to shoot the Bergers but could not close my groups because of the short neck as we discussed. The 180 Accubonds group phenomenally and performed well on the last four deer I have harvested. Very pleased with that round!

I will order some 300 gr Bergers and put them in the lineup and see what the results are. Yes, I built the rifle with a # 7 contour, 27" Lilja 1-10 twist barrel as I wanted to be able to shoot the bigger bullets and be able to stabilize them. After I did my research of bullet weights, manufacturers and asked Liljas recommendation the 1-10 twist gave me the most options.

Thanks for the info as I am expanding my knowledge in this discipline and I appreciate the knowledge and expertise...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yes sir wdchuckhuntr 1-10 twist and I specified the type of bullets I was planing on shooting with my gun smith. I also went with the Stiller Tac 338 action which gave me a little more space for loads seated out further so that I dont have to single feed the majority of my loads. However, we will just have to see what we are dealing with.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenstiegel
That's a beaut, Zack!
Thanks Steven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page