Foster Slugs in smooth bore barrel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Foster Slugs in smooth bore barrel

I remember I was hunting with a friend in the 60's. He was using a Model 12 gauge shotgun with Foster Slugs.. Along comes a buck..He aims for the shoulder, fires and hits the buck in the head.. Blew one of the antlers off. Shot was about 30 yards...He got the buck..of course head shot like that. Buck did not move right nor did it move left.. it acted like it got hit by a ton of bricks.

Nice that shotgun for deer are now rifled...

Any of you hunt deer with a shotgun like in the old days? Smooth bore not a rifled shotgun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Foster Slugs in smooth bore barrel

Yep, learned my lesson early. Moved to MD in 1962. Found out right away shotgun only in the middle part of state. First deer I shot at I missed at 30 yards with a smooth bore Savage 12 gauge modified barrel.. Checked the gun after the miss and I could not hit a pie plate at 20 yards!!

I heard about Ithaca Deerslayer. I bought a Super Deluxe Deerslayer at National Sporting goods in Baltimore. Smooth bore 26 inch barrel, Williams peep sight. What I found out, Ithaca bored the Deerslayer .010 inches smaller than standard cylinder bore. This made the regular old Foster type slugs fit tighter for a better gas seal..

That gun did and still does shoot awesome with regular old Foster slugs. Last deer killed with it was a big doe at 125 yards by my Grandson. See pic below.

I also gave my Son an old Mossberg Model 500 with a smooth bore slug barrel and rifle sights. He could shoot that gun pretty well. As I recall he could put all slugs in about a 12 inch circle at 75 yards. Not bad at all.

Bottom line is, a smooth bore shotgun in cylinder bore with some kind of sight will work fine at normal deer shooting ranges. I think the key is a specially drilled rifle slug barrel and sights.

Best regards, Glenn

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, I've killed lots of deer and wild boar with a smoothbore foster slug gun.
You friends story is not how bad the gun shot, bet the had an old shotgun with just a front sight. Can't aim with that set up and shoot off hand with a shotgun (lousy)trigger and expect to hit anything.

My shotguns have scopes or red dot sights. With the cheapo Green Box sluggers they shoot in 2 1/2 inches at 50 yards.

My shotgun have good triggers and they are light to carry/hold. I see guys at the range with heavy barreled (bolt action) shotguns that they can group a little tighter than mine from a sandbag on a bench. But unless they are taking a tripod, they couldn't hope to hit a deer at 50 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Should have said my go to shotgun/deer gun is a smooth bore 20 gauge Harrington and Richards break action single ($46) with a 2x scope. Yep, the deer drop like a brick from that 62 caliber 385 grain bullet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Few years back Dick's Sporting Goods was almost giving away slug combos. Either 12 or a 20 gauge with about a 1.5X scope, mounts/rings, cheek piece and a rifled and field smooth barrel with choke tubes.. Both on sale and on rebate too...I got one of the 20 gauge models...Did use it once so far during the deer season.. However sabots...they cost more then the entire Mossberg Combo....Such as $17.00 for 5 Hornady, Remington, Hastings, sabots.. I got them on sale and rebate too but had Not it would have cost me in the Teens $ for 5 each sabots..Tried to use some of the expensive stuff.. However I should have just stuck with 50 yards and the Fosters.. Could not see any big difference so I now use the Wal-Mart $3.59 for a box of 5, 20 gauge Fosters in this gun..So now it's sighted in for the Fosters for 50 yards and will be used when I hunt in the thick stuff...(Like I do all the time anyway)!!!!!

However...should God For Bid we go to a shotgun state for deer? http://www.ballisticproducts.com has all the stuff to roll your own sabots..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page