Ghost Rings & Peep Sights In the Deer Woods - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Ghost Rings & Peep Sights In the Deer Woods

Only peep sight I have is on a Crossman Pellet gun.. It's accurate.
Heard so many stories and even recommendations from companys that the peep sight is outstanding in the deer woods. Many companies suggest them on flint, inlines, etc.. Marlin is providing one ....Ghost Ring on one of their Lever Actions..
If your sitting in the woods and a deer comes by 35 yards away..Is it fast to get the gun up with these peep sights and or Ghost Rings and find the deer and fire?
Also heard of a guy that use one, peep sight on a model 12 pump...Guy claimed that it was great for when driving deer??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Sage

Re: Ghost Rings & Peep Sights In the Deer Woods

Quote:
If your sitting in the woods and a deer comes by 35 yards away..Is it fast to get the gun up with these peep sights and or Ghost Rings and find the deer and fire?
It has been for me so far and my eyesight isn't what it once was, when it comes to using "irons".

First had a Williams receiver sight on a 444 Marlin. Now it's on an old M336 sporting carbine in 35 Rem. Worked fine on both rifles, have killed deer with both, even moving deer.

Aperture insert is removed, making it somewhat of a ghost ring rear sight.

Farthest kill thus far with the 35 Rem. was about 90 yards, one shot kill on a doe. My 100 yard zero with that rifle, is a full front bead at 6 o'clock in the rear sight. Bead centered, it's dead-on at 150 yards, using 200gr Core Lokt factory loads.

Target acquistion is quick and reliable in my experience, especially moving targets at fairly close ranges.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

for years I use a Lyman 48 on my 308 remington 700. Great sight, for long range I left the aperature in, and screwed it oout and put it in my coat pocket when in laurel.

I still use tang sights on my walk around varmint rifles. But my eyes need a 10 x+ for any long range stuff.

That #48 killed lots of deer on that 308. My brother borrowed it one day and shot a deer at 525 yards with the #48. But then he an I were shooting Garrands for the DCM and were very good with the peep/receiver sights then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Sage

Have aperture sights on my Mini 30, Mini 14 and the Inland 30 Carbine, love to shoot all of them.

Years ago I had the loan of a sporterized M98 in 8x57, that had a Lyman receiver sight. Once shot a three shot group with it, tad less than 1" at 100 yards with my 150gr Sierra reloads, rested. Loved that rifle, never got to hunt with it though, before the owner wanted it back. Pestered him for years to sell it, he never budged.

Day is coming when I'll no longer be able to hunt with peeps and irons, so I intend to enjoy them in the meantime.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 05:35 PM

I have a peep on my 444. That's my bear gun and we drive thick stuff so it just seemed perfect for that. I anticipate any shots I get at bear to be inside of 50 yards....probably inside of 30 judging on the type of cover I'm usually in though. I just didn't see the need for optics on that rifle.

I did have that same peep on my 35 and killed a couple doe with it. I wanted some magnification though for counting points and put a 2.5x fixed on top....it's my 'brush gun' for deer. I'm plenty fast with the scope or peep, but the scope did catch a fair amount of 'stuff' on drives for bear....that's another reason for the peep on my 444.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

I really like peep sights on rifles, and especially my lever actions. But I think the "Ghost Ring" sight is an overpriced gimmick. They actually charge more for less, so I am against "Ghost Ring" sights.

Personally I like aperture sights that have a removable aperture. The finer the aperture the more accurate you will shoot your rifle. So why not take advantage of better sights for most of the time?? Then you can either put in a larger aperture, or a twilight aperture, or just take it out for a "Ghost Ring Like" sight. This gives you options, and it costs less.

Please don't fall for the "Ghost Ring" --. Buy a good aperture sight and simply remove the aperture when you want to have a larger "peep" to view through. Tom.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Sage

Reason the Willams went from my 444 to the 35 Rem, is because that old sporting carbine was never D/Td for scope mounts and the better sights come in handy.

I've never much liked "buckhorn" or V groove rear sights on anything, although two of my old Winchester levers still have their original sights on them. Neither were set up for mounting a receiver sight and I ain't gonna drill any holes in them, after all these years.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

If the rifle I am using has open sights , I'd just as soon them be peeps.
One time , from inside a blind , early morning I didn't have enough light and there was too much "haze" inside the peep to make a sure fire clean shoot.
15 minutes later there was enough light.
Had I been outside rather than inside the blind , I probaly would have had a harvest.
But I would rather have a peep than a "traditional" set of opens.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

All kinds of good comments on this..

Like the idea of making a gun real light..Figure...in a woodlot scopes add more weight to guns..I like my 35 Rem with a scope because it's so easy to carry..Wow just say an Encore with 4570 barrel...use it in the thick stuff and not have a heavy scope on it..Probably kick more but 9 X out of 10 you never feel the blast when your shooting at a bear or a deer...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Now with AR, scopes are pretty much mandatory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page