Old Redfield vs New Optics - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Old Redfield vs New Optics

I have several Remington 760's 30-06 all topped with Redfield Widefield 3x9 from the early 1970s. These have been great scopes and performed well, never had a problem with my primary deer gun I have used every year since 1971. And one of the rifles was my fathers who also used it for over 30 years. I am thinking about updating one of the guns with a Leupold VX-3 in a 3.5 x 10 x 40. At the gun shop today, the guy told me that a new $39 Tasco scope and its optics are equivalent to the 40 year old Redfield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Old Redfield vs New Optics

He is full of... you know....beans !
You are making an excellent choice on the new scope, actually way better than you need, but I love Leupolds, and they are bulletproof. The old Redfields optical quality is poor in comparison to the new ones, but back then they were top shelf. The reality is, most Pa deer rifles see the light of day for a day or two each year. That type of hunter is correct in not spending $500 plus on a scope. Buy the best scope you can afford and be happy. The cheap scopes do work fine in good warm weather, but add a below zero temp, some sleet or snow, heavy rain, etc. and you quickly find out what $39 buys you, a frozen fogged up mess !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The 40 year old glass in that redfield is completly obsolete. The advances in optical glass in the last 40 years are amazing. The innards of the scopes are better too but not as much improvement as the glass.

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Back in the 70s my father always referred to the Redfields as the Cadillac of scopes. My main gun has seen hundreds of hours of use, many daylight to dark hunts since 1971, and in all kinds of weather and conditions, and many miles of walking. I am a firm believer in you usually get what you pay for in quality. I remember around 1980 when Murphy's Mart was selling a scope for either $29.99 or 39.99, several guys that we drove deer with, were telling around that morning at our meeting place about the great deal on scopes and they had just installed them on their rifles. I was just smiling and thinking time will tell. The temperature was around 0 degrees. We would do a drive and then get warmed up in the vehicles before the next drive. After the 3rd drive of the day, 3 of the cheap scopes were already fogged on the inner lense.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM

I buy up all the old Redfields I find (reasonably priced) and have them on all my rifles. Love them. That said, it's hard to beat a new Leupold!

Alrighty then!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think that any new Leupold-VX-I on up- will give you much better glass-but only you can decide if you need it.

Will
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Its just hard to part with a scope that has been so good. Lots of hunting memories were made through them sights. But after a Christmas day chat among other hunters and them telling me how good the new scopes were, it really got me thinking, maybe I should do an update, plus the wife gave me a $500 gift certificate for Christmas for the local sports shop. My whole family used the Redfields for many years. It seemed the quality started to go downhill in the mid 1980s.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Banned

I had a old Lyman scope on my 06 back in 78. It lasted quite some time till a leak developed and the nitrogen ran out and the scope was filled with fog. The sales rep told me to get a new scope cause by the time they fixed it I could get a new scope. Have a Leoupold on the 06 now.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 PM
The Man

The adjustment mechanism in the older Redfields is their weak link...no easily accessible service exists these days for repairing them...be guided accordingly.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 PM
The Man

For what another opinion is worth........

I'd go with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 or a Weaver V10 2-10 and spend the rest of my gift certificate on something else. I am aware that the Leupies are good/great glass. But I'm also aware that they aren't (IMHO) worth twice or more the cash the two I mentioned are.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page