Any good plans for a bullet trap? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Any good plans for a bullet trap?

Ever since I got into reloading it seems a waste to shoot all these cast lead bullets into nothing and not at least try to get something out of them. I know my uncle casts his own so I could always give them to him. I am looking for any decent plans / pictures for a bullet trap.

1. I will be shooting mainly .22, 9mm, 38 special, and 45 acp cast bullets at it.

2. It does not have to be portable since I do the majority of my shooting in my backyard.

I have seen the plans for a half inch plate of steel at a 45 degree angle with some kind of media pit below to catch the bullets. This is what I am leaning towards but I read where the sand will tear the bullet apart.

I also have seen designs where a container such as a bucket, drum, or garbage can was filled with rubber mulch and then shot at. It seems this would be a pain to actually sort through the lead and mulch though.

Like I said, I'm looking really for a way to retain the shot bullet not just stop it.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Re: Any good plans for a bullet trap?

when I grew up, the neighbor had about what you describe. the sides were a railroad tie crib with a steel plate angled at about 45 degrees. the bullets dropped into sand. He cast his own bullets and use only those and .22's on the range. I remember the steel plate being more like 3/4 inch thick. Worked real good and tens of thousands of rounds were fired into it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

I seen a trap made with the plate at a 45 degree angle and then they used the rubber mulch instead if sand. You would be surprised, the lead makes it's way to the bottom of the rubber mulch and is easy to recover.

Your just jealous because I've been chatting online with babes all day!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

I believe you are talking about a clamshell bullet trap. I made mine out of ½ inch steel plate. With an angled shoot in the rear with a catch bucket, I have shot up to 3006 cast bullets into it with no ill effects. The steel is somewhat expensive, I am a welder so the steel was my main expense. Over the past 5 years I have only bought lead if a real good deal. If you go to you-tube you will find planes for several designs. I believe I have recovered the cost of the steel in recycled lead and no more driving around scrounging lead .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page