Soakin wet guns. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Soakin wet guns.

After a all day hunt in wet snowy rainy weather what do you do to dry out your rifles?Do any of you all take the barrel off to thoroughly dry the barrel and inside of the stock?How far do you all break em down in a real drencher?This question is for all types of rifles or slug guns wether it,s wood,lam,or syn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 08:12 PM

Re: Soakin wet guns.

in that type of weather I take the gun almost completely apart & dry it off. then I put the oil on a rag & wipe the gun down.
I also dry the stock.
please note, I also have sealed the inside of the stock before ever hunting with it.

NRA life member
DU member
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Same room as wood stove I don't take bolt actions out of the stock . WD40 on the outside and a bore snake (love them) through the bore with oil or WD on the end .
Rem oil for the actions as WD40 will gum up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM

I carry either a lever action or a pump. Both are old, wood stocks and blued steel, Not very easy to take apart. I just dry the gun off really good with whatever is handy (usually paper towels) and wipe it down with an oily rag permeated with PL Oil, Lubricating Preservative Light. Made by the Saucony vacuum cleaner company out of New York back in the 60's

I have been using this stuff for about the last 30 years and never had a problem with rust or gumming in the cold.

Military surplus......They use it for a reason.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Wiz

I hunted out in the rain several times over the past 2 weeks. I wipe the water off immediately after getting in and let the gun sit on the shop bench where the coal stove is. In some cases, I place the gun against the wall with the barrel down on a piece of cardboard or something so the water does not run down to the action as moisture condenses.

Never, ever let cloth material sit on the barrel for more than a few minutes or heavy rust will immediately start to develop as the cloth can wick away oil from the gun.

A good very thin layer of a teflon based lubricant (Rem oil, Tri-Flow, Zep) can go a long way for rust prevention. Also, WD40 will remove bluing so try to stay away from it on guns.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How does WD40 remove bluing? Years ago before I knew better I would used it for firearm maintenance. I never noticed any loss of bluing. Heck, I was always told it was made from fish oil.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

Wipe off with towels and if necessary use a hair dryer. Always works for me. Doc in Pa.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOz
How does WD40 remove bluing? Years ago before I knew better I would used it for firearm maintenance. I never noticed any loss of bluing. Heck, I was always told it was made from fish oil.
WD 40 is nothing more than a water displacing rust inhibitor. But, bluing is a controlled oxidation (a.k.a. fine rust). It won't make a noticeable difference if its used infrequently, but frequent use will make a difference as well as cause gumming.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 AM

One thing to remember is that if you take a wet rifle apart to dry it put it right back together again. Don't let the stock dry with the barreled action out of the rifle. The wood will warp and your zero will change.

I let mine dry out in the house for a few days then take it out of the stock and wax the metal that is against the wood and clean and oil the exterior and barrel. Never let oil seep into a wood stock.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Towel dry, stand in the corner muzzle down in a warm room. Next day use your favorite gun oil, lots of them out there.
Wd-40 will not hurt bluing, no way. I use it on exterior gun surfaces, decades of the practice, no blue loss. Wd-40 does not gum up actions, that's a wives tale. It only has 3 ingredients, and they don't seem to go together, but it works. Mineral oil, LPgas ( yes LPgas ) and dry cleaning solvent ( The same used at the dry cleaners ) that's it.
I had the neat experience of meeting the man who invented Rain-X. He was a really nice guy, not your typical scientist. He had been friends with the guy that invented Wd-40 when they wee young men in California. I asked him about the WD-40 on guns, he said no problem. He told me the secret to the stuff is that the mineral oil " Rides" on the cleaning solvent, propelled by the LP. The other two ingredients then evaporate. leaving the oil.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page