coating of oil against elements of rain snow? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

coating of oil against elements of rain snow?

is there any benefit for me to take a remington oil wipe and wipe down my gun if i know its possibly going to snowflake orrain? or is that actually a worse thing to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: coating of oil against elements of rain snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1e
is there any benefit for me to take a remington oil wipe and wipe down my gun if i know its possibly going to snowflake orrain? or is that actually a worse thing to do?
A good coating of car wax does a decent job keeping the moisture off of the barrel and action for a day.
1. It is only effective if you take the barreled action out of the stock and coat it all, otherwise the rain/snow gets in between the stock and gets to the untreated parts of the metal. I even coat the barrel channel and action area on wood stocked guns(which is usually unfinished) with a wood wax like unscented pledge.
2. When you are done hunting it is best to take it all out of the stock again and give all the metal a thorough wipe down with your usual oil.
3. If you take the action out of the stock remember to mark the screws where they are now and tighten to the same mark when you put it back together.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 05:21 AM
The Man

There's a product called Weapon Shield that reportedly lasts for<span style="font-weight: bold"> years</span> with one light application on metal surfaces...

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainp...on-shield.html

Paste wax is still as good as it gets, IMO, for the wood surfaces...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
There's a product called Weapon Shield that reportedly lasts for years with one light application on metal surfaces...

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainp...on-shield.html

Paste wax is still as good as it gets, IMO, for the wood surfaces...
I have been using Weapon Shield for a little over 2 years now. It is a very good lubricant and rust preventative, and as far as oils go it is better than anything else I have used in the last 30 years for sure. A little bit goes a very long way. There is a truck center here in Pa that I ordered mine from online, Watt's Truck Center I believe. The Weapon Shield has a "cinnamon" smell to it I guess to be house/spouse friendly when cleaning firearms. I do know they make a Drill and Tap oil that has the same ingredients as the WS but without the cinnamon smell and is slightly cheaper in cost.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 08:38 AM
The Man

Yep, it can be expensive. I bought a gallon which is the way to go compared to the smaller containers....

Best metal protector I've found though....dust and fingerprints do not stick to anything treated with it...

I'm somewhat amazed at how chemicals have improved over the years....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a buddy that substitutes 1qt of the Steel Shield Drill and Tap oil for 1qt of his regular motor oil in his VW Jetta and swears he gets 2mpg better!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 PM

I always here good things about Froglube, never used the stuff personally though.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

Buy some rig from birtchwood casey dont look back
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:09 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
Best metal protector I've found though....dust and fingerprints do not stick to anything treated with it...
Drys after it is applied?

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been using Eezox - not cheap, but solved some rust issues for me long term with minimal care. Seems Corrosion X did well too inthe following links. Weaponshield was thereabouts too in the one test. Eezox still looks best. Couple links:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?103924-Corrosion-Testing-(New-Pics-5-08-12)/page5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page