I Did a Dumb Thing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I Did a Dumb Thing

I'm sick, I did a very dumb thing. The other day I rushed to camp to get a little evening hunt in before dark. Everything went well, I climbed my ladder stand with a couple hour left in the day. At quiting time I pulled my T/C Contender out of my bandileer (spelling?) holster to unloaded it for the climb down. Today I was using my 10" .44 mag. barrel with the Burris 1.25 x 4 scope. I returned the gun to the holster and prepare to climb down. Well my holster is designed for a 14" barrel. Been using it for any length barrel for twenty years. Well I don't always snap the break because it makes a lot of noise. You guessed it, as I was gathering items I leaned over just a bit and the gun fell to the ground. What a sickening sound hearing my beautiful stainless steel handgun bang off a couple of ladder rungs and land on a partially rotted log.

The scope and mount took the majority of the punishment. It ripped the four base screws out of the barrel, stripping the threads on three and breaking the fourth. Quite a few marks on the scope but I think it is still functional. The muzzle of the barrel was plugged tight with rotted wood also. Luckily I brought along an extra barrel (14" 7-30 Waters) or my two day hunting trip would have been cut short. As it turns out I was able to connect on one the next morning.

I'm a dope. Still sick over this, I guess you live and learn. Wasn't looking for any additional off season repair projects.

I love my Contender. Probably my favorite firearm. I have about 10 barrels to go along with it. Feels like I broke up with my best girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 PM
The Man

Re: I Did a Dumb Thing

If the scope is broken, contact Burris, they just might give you another scope via their Warranty.......They have really good customer service.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: I Did a Dumb Thing

bandolier i believe. I alwys pack 2 guns to camp for just that reason. You just never know when accidents will happen. Glad the gun didnt go off

My aspirations are simple.
Send the kids to college, hunt, and own more guns
USMC 2111 Armorer, Ret.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page