Lever action - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Lever action

Looking to buy a new lever gun whats out there and what would be a good all around caliber other than a 30/30 and 35 does savage still make the 99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan
Re: Lever action

I love my Browning BLR in 308.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 PM

We wish savage still made 99s. But they can still be had if you look around, pretty common in 308 and 300 savage. Winchester 94s are around in 375 Win, 444,and the occasional 307 and 356. I think the 94s are still being made in 450 marlin, but I prefer ther older ones. And of corse the BLR comes in a bunch of calibers. Recent Marlins have gotten a bad rap quality wise since remington took them over. The older more desireable ones have a JM stamped on the barrel and made before the Rem takeover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Savage discontinued the 99 about 50-60 years ago.
Browning BLR you can get in just about any caliber
Marlin 336/444 you got quite a few calibers.
Winchester 86/92/94/71
Calibers range from about .25 up to .45
All around? Depending on what that entails, either 30-06 or 45-70

My aspirations are simple.
Send the kids to college, hunt, and own more guns
USMC 2111 Armorer, Ret.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S.
Savage discontinued the 99 about 50-60 years ago.
Ummmmmmm........... 15 years ago. 1998.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Savage 99 ceased production in 1998, 15 years ago. There are many NIB ones for sale all over the country, easy to find.
The Winchester 88 and the Sako Finnwolf are probably the best engineered lever guns ever made. Both available on the used market, although a little pricey.
Literally millions of Winchester 94's and Marlin 336"s out there for sale, as stated, the older ones are better made.
Nothing wrong with the Browning BLR, and that can be had in long action calibers.
A used lever gun is probably the easiest used rifle to find on the East coast. You just have to decide what you want, they are all for sale !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:14 AM

You have lots of options. Browning blr's in so many different calibers. So many marlin models in many different cals. Marlin 336, 1894, 1895, 444. Still many great winchester models, 94, 64, 71, 88. Their's tons more than I mentioned. If your tastes are finer than I recommend looking into the sako finnwolf. Imo not many other lever actions are comparable with the finnwolf. The 88 and the finnwolf actions are quite different. Not to mention the accuracy of the finnwolf. I get sub moa with mine.

What kind of hunting do you plan for this rifle?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Sage

I love my Win 88 in 308....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I suppose I should go deeper with the data if the OP is going to lay down some cash. If you consider a Sako Finnwolf, it is the most accurate lever gun I ever tested, and I have tested hundreds. It is a beautiful gun, but it has some downsides in todays world. If you lose the clip or break the stock, you are up the creek. When and if you find replacements, they will cost as much as a gun. The Finnwolf grip geometry is " Weird". The curve and lever position are more forward, and best suited to shooters with small hands. The Finnwolf was brought to market in 1963 to directly compete with the Winchester 88, but it had a much better trigger, all machined parts, and a much nicer fit and finish. America was not buying it, and they bit the dust 8 years later. As in any company currently controlled by Beretta, they make parts impossible to find or buy except from their chosen few, if at all. On the flip side of that, I have never seen a broken Finnwolf.
There are boo-coo Model 88"s that shoot MOA, even with their stiff trigger. A trigger job on an 88 is tricky, and should only be done by the best gunsmith you can find.
If I was the OP, I would look hard at the Finnwolf, BLR, and 88 if you want more pep than a 30-30.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page