I have oficially lost interest in guns. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I have oficially lost interest in guns.

Well, I haven't completely lost interest in guns. Just the ones that have been put on the market over the past 5 years or so. I walk into guns stores to see what is out there and it seems like everything has a folding stock or camo synthetic stock and is chambered in some off the wall new caliber that will probably die out in a few years. I went shot gun shopping and told the clerk I was just browsing for a new shotgun. Before I said anything else he pulled a rem 870 off the shelf that had a folding stock, camo paint job, and a bunch of other whistles and bells on it. It seemed like every other shot gun in that store was similar. No offense if you are into that style of gun but that isn't what I want to carry into the woods. I like my guns to be made of metal and wood. When I pick up a firearm I want to be holding something that helps me recontact with history and culture and not make me fell like I should be raiding a crack house with the DEA. I think gun companies are just grasping for straws when it comes to cartridge designs and they have done a great job of mangling firearms with a bunch of high tech crap. I just wanted to see if anyone else on here fells the way I do. I don't think I'll be buying a new guns if this trend continues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: I have oficially lost interest in guns.

I have a couple of the new style guns but like you I would rather see more wood stocks and blued barrels.But I do understand that people would like the others because it can make them lighter to carry and the weather shield slows down the rust on the barrels for the guys who don't/can't take care of there guns or hunt in bad weather conditions alot.I am sure they have a lot of other great benefits but I also prefer the old style.To each their own I guess.I look at it like this - If a lot of guys buy the synthetic stock guns then hopefully there will be a nice wood stock left on the shelf when I go to buy one.When I look to get a "new" gun I looked for well maintained used ones made of wood.The problem is that the cost sometimes is out of this world for a regular joe like me.That is another reason I believe guys buy the synthetic stock.They are usually cheaper to buy and I am sure to make.Thanks for the post and I am sure there is a lot of others who like the wooden style guns and the tradition in them.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Your not alone!! Since the 911 fiasco it's been nothing but semi-auto rifles, self defense crap, and black SWAT like equipment...and even I'm getting tired of it...I guess the industry is just responding to the overall market but it does and is getting old.. every rifle is AR platform or cartridges designed for them to function best..a good old wood shotgun/rifle, you'd be lucky if your dealer has one on the shelf..and we wonder why all these nutty kids act and dress just like the swat teams, the games they play mimic them, the clothes and body armor us exactly the same purchased in the same stores..and modern movies and TV shows, it's police/swat/DEA/border patrol.. so are the times we live in!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I am only 27 but I started hunting with old timers. I admired them as well as the weapons they carried. When I think of a rifle I think of Win 88s,70s,94s, Savage 99s, and such. I don't care for all the stuff on the market now. Unfortunately many of those old timers are dying off as are the rifles and shot guns they carried and the tradition, culture, and history that went along with them.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension
I am only 27 but I started hunting with old timers. I admired them as well as the weapons they carried. When I think of a rifle I think of Win 88s,70s,94s, Savage 99s, and such. I don't care for all the stuff on the market now. Unfortunately many of those old timers are dying off as are the rifles and shot guns they carried and the tradition, culture, and history that went along with them.
Thats why I get my guns at auctions and gun shows, thats where all the good guns are. The quality is much better than the stuff they are making today and they have a trigger that you can use.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hear you. I am a long time collector. Its difficult to see an entire industry change, but reality none the less. The funny part to me is, the marketing of para-military synthetic guns to the American public. The " make you ready for the invasion" concept. If you know anything about the armed forces, you know that John Q. Public and his black plastic fantastic 5.768 x 39 Sp, superzapper would not live long fighting any trained soldier from anywhere.
I own a few synthetics in hunting stocks. I bought them for Alaska and hunting in tree stands, where nice wood takes a beating quick. I can tell you though, my favorite guide in Alaska carries a Model 70 in its original wood stock. There are pieces of wood missing, no finish left at all, gouges, stains, old spray paint ( Alaskan waterproofing ), and it still kills year after year. The " stuff" being put out today pales in quality to the stuff of yesteryear. Auctions are a great idea, as well as estate sales, but prices are up on good stuff. I think the gun industry would find that a lot of guys would pay a premium for nice wood if they offered it.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 AM
The Man

I'm on both sides of the fence.

I have NO time for the vast majority of the newest guns out, designed to withstand the zombie apocalypse. I think that those slime green boxes of ammo are one of the saddest statements about today's gun buyers there is.

As far as what resides at my house........ a small mix of wood & blued and synthetic & stainless.

Serious hunting rifles are tools. I don't mind a rifle being made of durable materials if it's gonna see some severely abusive duty. Same for a shotgun.

Which guns are my FAVORITES ??? Definitely the ones with high-gloss bluing and a pretty stick of walnut on them !!! The ones that were born to the hands of a craftsman.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

On the chambering side, I often feel the opposite way. What a new rifle gets announced, I am disappointed to read it will be offered only in .30-06, .308, .270, and .223. I can't even order one in something interesting???
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Part of the Community

Old,blue and wood for me especially customized Mausers. I have 3 now,sort of an addiction.

Be honest with yourself
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Wood and metal for me too, that's what gun shows and gunbroker is for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page