right hand - left eye dominent - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

right hand - left eye dominent

Hello, I'm trying to teach my nephew (9yrs old) to shoot properly. I found that he's right handed but left eye dominent. He has difficulty closing either eye; and he lacks cordination as a lefty.
What do you suggest? Patch over his left eye? Or will his left eye always be stronger/cause him to be "off" point?

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
The Man

Re: right hand - left eye dominent

I have the curse, too....strongly suggest he learn to shoot left-handed and never have to worry about closing the left eye.....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 AM

I have always shot right handed left eye dom.
I just close the eye. Never tried shooting lefty.
Didn't realize it until I was 10 yrs into shooting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Sage

I learned to shoot both. The patch will help a good bit, but if he still struggles, best to teach him to change hands early.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 AM

ALL KIDS want to do it!! Just sit next to him at the bench and tap him on the head every time he tries it..you'll break him in no time..I know, I done it before and am doing it now with my two grandson's..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 AM
The Man

I have the opposite problem. Left handed, but right eye dominent.

This is what I suggest you try before you even bother going to the range. You can make a game out of it if you want. While at home try to get him to practice closing only one eye. Doing this at home will make it much easier when you get to the range. I guess you could call it a learned muscle control, and only trying while at the shooting range won't be enough.

I had a hard time with it when I was a kid. I couldn't close my right eye without the left going closed, and the left side wasn't much easier. Now the left eye goes shut without even thinking about it. The right side I have to think about it.

Venison - The other fast food
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

closing one eye to shoot is a bad idea. first it takes away binocular vision which is depth perception and distance judgement. second it causes the open eye pupil to dilate which causes a light sensitivity. third it will cause eye fatigue doing long practice sessions. the "patch" if used can be as simple as a piece of transluscent tape on the safety glasses being worn. he/she are wearing eye and ear protection aren't they? both eyes open is the teaching technique used by both usa shooting (us olympic committee) and the civilian marksmanship program in all the basic instruction manuals. this is really important if the child goes into the moving target sports (sheet, trap, and sporting clays) as binocular helps alot in this endeavor.
my personal opinion is that work with the physical dominance and obscure the vision with the "patch" but shoot both eyes open. NO SQUINTING.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd stay with his dominate had for rifle shooting. He will Have to close his left eye to see the crosshairs (patch is good also).

Trigger control is key to good shooting.

If he is shooting shotgun, try the Tom Knapp laser sight (actually a cylinder recessed fiber optic (about $17) great. you only see the red when you are using the eye that is over the stock.

Also, think beyond shooting. he will have this problem the rest of his life. It effect sports etc. You and hsi parents need to discuss, and get him on the same page.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
The Man

I do everything Righty but not shoot a bow or gun...I shoot them lefty..I too am left eye dominant...However you got to let the boy tell you which way feels the best when he holds the gun...I hate holding gun righty...even if I do everythign else righty...I have to hold the gun or bow in my left hand for it to feel good...Could frustrate him a bit if you try to make him hold the gun in the position that makes you feel like your just holding a log...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was left eye dominant and at an early age shot right handed. Once my Dad figured out I was left eye dominant we switched to shooting left handed. While it felt strange at first as a kid they learn fast. I was shooting on a competitive BB gun team at the time and my scores went up after I switched. Also dont let him get in the habit of closing one eye. I use to shoot my Bow right handed but lost vision in my right eye at the age of 15 in an accident with a weed wacker and had to switch to shooting left handed. While strange at first after a few weeks it was natural. Get him a BB gun and start with that he can shoot hundreds of round for next to nothing and can do so in a basement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page