22-250 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

22-250

What is a quality starting ammo for a guy that doesn't reload rifle yet?The reason I ask is because because I got a call from a friend asking my son and I to come to his house.When I got there in under 3 minutes he asked me some names and then mentioned some I knew.The names I knew were related to guns.Then he says I'll be right back and he comes out with a custom 22-250 and said here it's yours.I refused to accept the gun and he said no it's yours.I was blown away.I actually had tears in my eyes from such a special gift.I told him I was honored for such a gift.A litle while back I had asked his opinion on a varmint rifle.He said 22-250 so I figured when I have the money that's what I will buy.So when handed a double set trigger,stainless steel bull barrel gun my emotions got me.I would never have been able to buy a gun of this statue raising 3 kids.I'm working on his car in my shop right now and I think he has a deal coming his way as well.You know I gave away a pair of camos on here to a member and shipped tham UPS today.Think there is a correlation there?

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Sage

Re: 22-250

Might try some of Winchester's USA ammo? Fairly inexpensive, comes in 40 round boxes, in I think, 45gr HPs?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Do you know the twist rate?? Most factory 22-250's are a 1in14 twist. Which is good for the faster and smaller bullets in 22 caliber. My custom 22-250 has a 1in8 twist for the 75 grain bullets.

If yours is a standard factory twist then a 50 or 55 grain bullet should shoot well.

Some of the best factory ammo going that has a decent price is the Hornady ammo. And it is loaded with the 50 or 55 grain V-Max bullet. Which is great for varmints. Black Hills also makes some decent ammo. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I will surely test a few since I don't feel the accuracy is there yet.It only has 10 rounds down the barrel.I have not shot it yet as it needs a scope.He needed it for another rifle.He was getting 1/2 to 3/4 groups.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great gun!
I like 55 gr. in mine.

Good Sanctuary vs. Good Food Plot
Sanctuary wins by a first round Knockout!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

I don't know the twist rate off hand but he will.The gun started as a 220 swift then was changed to a Donaldson 218 bee and he made it a 22-250.I'm still under a fog at this time with such a genorous gift so forgive me.2 weeks ago a guy gave me a 22 for my kid.He has dies and I'm sure he would be more than willing to teach me how to fine tune the firearm.I do however wish to buy a scope and fire a few factory ammo down the barrel.You can bet every case will be saved.I don't think the barrel is broken in after only 10 shots though.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Oh I will try and post pics of it soon.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo666
What is a quality starting ammo for a guy that doesn't reload rifle yet?The reason I ask is because because I got a call from a friend asking my son and I to come to his house.When I got there in under 3 minutes he asked me some names and then mentioned some I knew.The names I knew were related to guns.Then he says I'll be right back and he comes out with a custom 22-250 and said here it's yours.I refused to accept the gun and he said no it's yours.I was blown away.I actually had tears in my eyes from such a special gift.I told him I was honored for such a gift.A litle while back I had asked his opinion on a varmint rifle.He said 22-250 so I figured when I have the money that's what I will buy.So when handed a double set trigger,stainless steel bull barrel gun my emotions got me.I would never have been able to buy a gun of this statue raising 3 kids.I'm working on his car in my shop right now and I think he has a deal coming his way as well.You know I gave away a pair of camos on here to a member and shipped tham UPS today.Think there is a correlation there?

Well my Bible says "give and it shall be given unto you. Good measure pressed down, shaken together, and running over. So shall men give unto your bosom".
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

a great day for you and one you will never forget! my luck has always been with 50 grainers any lighter you copper fouling. hornady 50 gr v-max and h 380!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Do you know the twist rate?? Most factory 22-250's are a 1in14 twist. Which is good for the faster and smaller bullets in 22 caliber. My custom 22-250 has a 1in8 twist for the 75 grain bullets.
Is there any real advantage to that over a 243 shooting 87 grainers? Just asking as the 22-250 only really interests me with heavier bullets.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page