Hunting Rifle- Lever Action - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Hunting Rifle- Lever Action

I'm trying to decide on which rifle to get. I really want to get a lever-action rifle. I'm leaning towards a .357mag but I've been told to go towards a .44mag. I handled a Marlin 1894 in .44mag and I really like how it felt.

What do you guys think? What caliber and rifles should I look at? I don't hunt yet but i would like to hunt eventually and could potentially use this rifle for hunting, maybe deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Re: Hunting Rifle- Lever Action

Are you looking at just pistol cartridges? For deer? A 44 Mag, or a 45 colt with hopped up hand loads. The 38-55 can be handloaded up as well. And there is always the 45-70, 444, and whatever other super new cartridges have been dreamt up.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Banned

I've killed deer with the .357 and .44 magnums. The .357 in a carbine will take deer out to 100 yards. The .44 carbine will do it out to 125 yards effectively. If you want to bear hunt then go with the .44. But for deer only I kind of like the .357 in a Marlin or a Winchester carbine. The .44 will kill deer farther out than 125 but it gets alittle tricky trying to rainbow it in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM
The Man

Go with your instincts...Get the 44
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

I actually wish the .41 mag had been successful. I think that gave the best of both worlds.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a few lever action and single shots in handgun cartridges. They make fantastic deer rifles. And also inexpensive rifles to shoot if you have to rely on factory ammo.

A 357 in a rifle is completely different than a 357 in a handgun. And if you buy factory ammo it can be cheap to shoot with 38 Special loads. So the 357 has the advantage in cost of operations.

Personally I like the 44 magnum better for hunting. But it will cost more to shoot.

IMO the 357 nor the 44 magnum is limited to 100 or 125 yards. But after 100 yards the 44 magnum is a much better choice. But I have no problems extending 44 magnum to easily 200 yards and beyond. You just have to know your rifle.

I also like the 45 Colt in a lever action. You can push a 255 grain bullet pretty hard and do terrible damage to deer. Even with zero expansion you have a 1/2" hole going in.

Personally I have shot deer with my 44 magnum out to about 225 yards. You really have to know your equipment to do that. But you are suppose to know your equipment. I shoot only cast bullets that I cast in my lever actions. That is how I can shoot it so cheap. I can reload about 1,000 shells for $100. You can't beat that. And when you put a few thousand rounds down your 44 magnum lever action a 200 yard shot will not scare you at all.

Below is a picture of one of my 44 Magnum's in a Marlin 1894. That Marlin 1894 is tough to beat. Along with a Low Wall in 45 Colt. And you would not believe me if I told you how far I shoot that rifle. Tom.

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you don't hunt now, by all means get the 357. You can shoot cheap ammo including 38 specials in it. It is a pleasure to shoot. It will handge exactly like the 44 you checked out as it is basically the same gun (barrel is just a little heavier).

The marlin 357 is a nice gun to shoot with and makes a respectable walk-abound groundhog gun.

I've killed deer witht the 357, 41 and the 44 mag. With proper shot placement the deer woould never know the difference.

The 41 is very nice, softer recoiling than the 44 and more powerful than the 357 (just what it was designed to be).

I found my 44 Marlin carbine a little light for wild boar , and went to the Marlin 375 win lever for thick cover boar hunting.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Wow those were some quick responses. Thanks.

Yea the principle reason for staying with pistol cartridges is cost and if I ever get a revolver again Id be able to use ammo for both. And while I'm not hunting yet, I'm sort of leaning towards the 44mag just because I like a little bit of recoil. But would a Marlin 1894 be a good lever-action rifle to get in 44mag? What do they go for about $550-600?

What kind of game could the 44 effectively take down? I'm not going to get this rifle then go out the next day and go get the biggest game out there. I'd really like to start on small game then work my way up.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
What kind of game could the 44 effectively take down?

I've hunted Moose with my .44 mags. That was with 300 grain handloads.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Pistol cartriges are for pistols. Get a rifle caliber.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page