270 short mag or 7mm short mag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

270 short mag or 7mm short mag

I am going to be buying either of these guns. Can you guys tell me if the 270 sm kicks like a 270? I have a 270 Rem model 760 and that thing kicks like crazy and is not fun to shoot at all. The gun would be for around PA, bear and dear hunting. Tell me what gun you would buy and why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 270 short mag or 7mm short mag

Well the model 760, 6, 7600's all seems to kick harder than most others rifles due to stock design and a metal or plastic butt pad. Swap out the stocks for synthetic ones with a recoil pad or just add a recoil pad and they are a different gun recoil wise. I have a 7600 carbine in '06 that was very uncomfortable to shoot with the factory non-butt-pad and I put a synthetic stock and cushy pad on it and it is like shooting a .243.
I own a Tikka T-3 in 270wsm and recoil is not bad at all. it is very accurate, flat shooting and I would go after anything with it that I would go after with a 7mm mag or 7mm wsm. Either one would serve you well and is a coin flip in performance. MAYBE if hunting BIG Moose the 7mm might have an advantage with heavier bullets, but then I'd go .30 cal magnum or larger anyway.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie
I am going to be buying either of these guns. Can you guys tell me if the 270 sm kicks like a 270? I have a 270 Rem model 760 and that thing kicks like crazy and is not fun to shoot at all. The gun would be for around PA, bear and dear hunting. Tell me what gun you would buy and why
you shouldn't buy anything, you already have the ultimate PA rifle, a Rem 760 in 270. I also have one.

I also have several other rifles, and the 760 doesn't kick any more than the 30-06, 7mm Mag, 300 RUM, or the 12 ga slug.

You will triple the price of ammo if you don't reload.

But, if you must find another gun, just find one you love, there's basically no differance between a 270 WSM and a 7 WSM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
The Man

If you think your 760 kicks hard in 270 don't even bother looking at either the 270 WSM or the 7mm WSM. With weight being equal both will kick a lot harder than a 270 win.

I find my 760 in 270 rather pleasant to shoot with the blued steel butt plate.

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM

HOW about neither!!!! All that boom, powder, expensive little fat cases and for what..not much in the balistic advantage, you lucky if it's 150 fps...The cost of factory ammo alone is good enough reason not to buy either. For hunting in PA or most of the USA a good ole' 30/06 in a 760 will take care of just about anything you want at a fraction of the cost of those two. In these days of economics entering into the hunting and shooting world those are just the cold hard facts..everytime I'm at one of the "big stores" I laugh when I see $59.00-$99.00 for a box of twenty shells..it's sad and completely uncalled for, the ammo companies just got ya over a barrel, pardon the pun...rediculous! Heck, these $309.00 rifles, scope and all, like the Savage Edge will work just fine, remember your shooting at a volleyball sized target not benchrest shooting..just not need to spend $1000.00 for a deer rifle.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuff
Well the model 760, 6, 7600's all seems to kick harder than most others rifles due to stock design and a metal or plastic butt pad. Swap out the stocks for synthetic ones with a recoil pad or just add a recoil pad and they are a different gun recoil wise. I have a 7600 carbine in '06 that was very uncomfortable to shoot with the factory non-butt-pad and I put a synthetic stock and cushy pad on it and it is like shooting a .243.
I own a Tikka T-3 in 270wsm and recoil is not bad at all. it is very accurate, flat shooting and I would go after anything with it that I would go after with a 7mm mag or 7mm wsm. Either one would serve you well and is a coin flip in performance. MAYBE if hunting BIG Moose the 7mm might have an advantage with heavier bullets, but then I'd go .30 cal magnum or larger anyway.

You mean there are small ones?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 AM

If you are concerned with the kick, I would go the other way with a nice 7mm08 or 260!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

I agree, if I had any sort of .270 or .30-06 I wouldn't still be searching for anything. They are both the answer to the question here in PA. Although in the .270's case I'd load the 150's for bear, but that's fine too.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuff

You mean there are small ones?
LOL
Well an immature bull or cow moose from Maine or Wyoming is small compared to a mature Alaskan/Yukon Bull moose.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
HOW about neither!!!! All that boom, powder, expensive little fat cases and for what..not much in the balistic advantage, you lucky if it's 150 fps...The cost of factory ammo alone is good enough reason not to buy either.
I get an honest and chronographed 3402-3412fps out of my 270wsm and 130gr TSX bullets. The load is no where near max pressure. I have not been able to come within 150fps of that with any 270win 130gr load. Even the Hornady Super Performance(light magnum replacement) falls 200fps short of 3400fps.
Similar ammo for each is within $4-$8 per box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page